Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Audi Allroad 2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Allroad 2008

Dear all,

First post here, so be gentle .

I have had an Audi allroad since new from the shop in 2008. A few years ago, the car started requiring more important repairs and we made the family meeting to decide if it was time to change the car, or we should drive this one for 8 to 10 more years. We decided to stick with the known problem and fix what would require fixing and also set aside some budget for expected suspension problems and turbine change. I also bought VCD or whatever it is called software with a cable and can now connect to the car and see what it "thinks". Since then, it has been going quite well, but now I feel we have a problem that is a challenge. And time to ask for some assistance.

Air suspension is behaving strangely. At some point, I started finding the car with its rear axle down to sub-normal height in the mornings. Like almost touching the ground and wheels deep in the arches. When started, the car did not complain about anything on the dash and went up to one of the normal levels with no problems. I soon discovered, the car did not fall down during the night, if I left it in 'allroad' setting. Since I now live in the countryside, 'allroad' is more or less my daily ride and it did not bother me much anymore.

Now, a few days ago, the problem got a lot worse, because the car has started to lower itself with both, orange and green dash indicators flashing during driving. Needless to say ride has become unbearable and the roads here are far from suited for this sort of height. A Ferrari or Lambo would probably show more clearance .

The VDC (or whatever it is called) is complaining only about one thing and one thing only - cannot read one of the level sensors. But it does not say which one. Also, the values for the other three it can see, are somewhat interesting. On the day I measured, in a garage with reasonably level floor and the car at 'comfort' level setting level sensors showed -76mm; -20mm and 20mm.

I have no problem of finding the missing sensor. Or I believe it should be no problem - I will lift the car and start disconnecting the sensors one by one and check the VDC thing if it now shows two sensors missing. If it does, I have not found the problematic one. If it does not - this is the one that is problematic. Then I will think about what to do with it.

1) However, about the crazy readings of other three sensors - is there some re-calibration routine I can perform? How?
2) Can 'confused sensors' be the sole source of the problem? Or, there must also be a mechanical/hydraulic problem and I should consider ordering suspension replacement kit (Arnott for ~3k EUR or HongKong for ~2k EUR)? The last thing I want is what I have had with some other items like bearings - as you change one, the next one starts complaining, when that is done, you start to hear another one and so four pitstops instead of one weekend to change all four .
3) If there is more than 'confused sensor' problem to be expected and ordering a full kit is not the only option, what are the other options? What should I look for? Air leaks? Where?

Thank you for your time,

Edmunds
Latvia

Last edited by Edmunds; 04-19-2018 at 04:38 PM.