Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Softer ride for an A6? What Shocks/Springs to get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Softer ride for an A6? What Shocks/Springs to get?

I'm the new owner of a 02 A6 4.2 with all the options including sport suspention. I really like the way the car handels, but I would like to try and smoothen out the ride a bit. The car has 41k miles on it and I'm not sure the shocks have been replaced so it posable that the stock shocks are getting toward the end of their life. However, I'd like to replace them with something that might be alittle lest "sport" and a bit more comfy. Has anyone gone this route and got a good result or have suggestions on what shock might fit this bill? Maybe something that has an adjustment to stiffen or loosen up the ride. What I want to get away from is a "boat" like ride. Just something soften up the road a bit.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Softer ride for an A6? What Shocks/Springs to get?

I've been doing some looking and it seams like these might be the ticket?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...ORT&perfCode=S

They sound like they inprove both ability and ride comfort? Has anyone gone from the stock sport shocks to these? How did it change?

PS sorry to be Xposting, admin's can delete the post in the A6 fourms about this.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:46 AM
2nd Gear
Default Most people want to go the other way...

...Swapping up from the stock to the sport suspension, that is. As such, I'd see if you can find somebody who wants to swap the parts with you. You may want to list this idea (a swap with somebody -- ideally somebody local) in the classifieds here and on Audiworld.com.

Differences between the two include (on the sport) stiffer and lower springs/shocks and a beefier sway bar.

Good luck.