Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Wheel bearings/Strut shot?

Old 06-09-2017, 04:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Wheel bearings/Strut shot?

Howdy folks!
I just acquired a 2002 Audi S8 and was told that the wheel bearings need to be replaced and the passenger side strut needs replacing (when turning left the passenger side tire makes a sound that's similar to a leather seat when you sit on it and it squeaks).

I'm a mechanical novice but would like to do as much of this by myself as possible to cut down on costs.

Does anyone have input on how easy or hard it is to replace the strut? Or if, based on the noise I've described, that's actually the issue?

Same with the wheel bearings, are those "easy" (i.e. time consuming for a beginner but not too complicated) to replace myself?

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section of the forum, but I could use some input/advice. If anyone has guides they've used in the past or videos, I'd love to have those as a resource.

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

I don't know how different is your 02 S8 from my 98 A4, but struts aren't usually hard to replace, just have to be careful doing the job, but it isn't a lot of work. As for the wheel bearings, in my case I needed a heavy duty press, maybe something like a shop press because I bought a cheap press and it ended up bent and useless, so if you have to press your bearings out, I recommend doing 99% of the work which is getting those spindles out and taking them to a shop where they can press the old ones out and press the new ones in. My car has bad rear struts so any speed bump, bump turn onto drive ways is where it makes a creaking sound, if thats what you're hearing, then its most likely shot. The wheel bearing makes a Whooo whooo whooo sound when accelerating and up to speed is just an irritable humming, if thats what your hearing, then its also going to be the wheel bearing.