VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

**IMPORTANT** VAGCOM, Data logging, Tuning, 10% Ethanol Fuel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear
Default **IMPORTANT** VAGCOM, Data logging, Tuning, 10% Ethanol Fuel Questions

Okay, so yesterday after work I'm on my way home and my gas gets low. I go to one station, BAM! 10% ethanol. I go to another, again! 10% ethanol, after a few more I'm scrambling to find regular gas. I dont have a tune for ethanol!
I called up APR and asked what to do. I had about 20 miles left worth of gas, so I cant just keep driving around waiting for days. They inform me that they dont have that yet( Alabama). I suggested that it might be okay if i switch back to the OEM program on my ECU and just get 93 in there. They said it should be okay. They also told me that I should do some data logging in my 93 program to see how it runs. Now heres are my questions. Who has a laptop or a PDA(VAGCOM) so that I can drive around with it for half an hour(or more if youre willing to let me borrow it for a day or two) to record some data and get that analyzed? I plan to send that data to APR and another company from Germany that I keep in touch with. Heres what they told me about my situation "The problem for older cars is not to damage the engine while running. The problems are with the seals in the fuel system. But all Audis since 1995 will resist E10. I cannot imagine where your problem should be. Fore my understanding only a lower ROZ would affect a tuned engine. Isn’t it so?" I figure I'll keep using the 93 octane like I have been since I got the car. Also, I need to keep talking to APR and do all I can to get em to start developing the 10% Ethanol 93 octane tune program. I want that powerloss I feel to go away. I call it powerloss because I'm so used it being chipped that it is now my baseline. I forgot what stock felt like I dont know about my gas mileage as of yet. I just got like 24 miles out of that tank. I'll post how it's running once i go thru a few tanks and get a baseline for that fuel. So, what are the rest of you doing with the tuned cars, those of you who run pump gas and high psi? Does it make any difference to you guys? Does your car feel or run any different? Has anyone done any research on this? Is this at all similar to alky spray? Any other suggestions, guys? I think that for now I have my bases covered and wont detonate my engine into orbit, but I just have this feeling that I'm sorta forgettin somethin here.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: **IMPORTANT** VAGCOM, Data logging, Tuning, 10% Ethanol Fuel Questions

ethenol is a higher octane than gasoline and that the 10% makes abosolutly no differnce in how the car performs. The only difference is that you may get a mpg or 2 less/gallon since it takes more ethenol to get to the same a/f. You are getting over worked about nothing. Also, out ecu's are more than capable of adapting to the changes

Old 05-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: **IMPORTANT** VAGCOM, Data logging, Tuning, 10% Ethanol Fuel Questions

Agreed, the only thing ethanol is contributing is raising theprice for corn. [:@][:'(]10% won't do s***, its the same here in cali at most stations, my car runs just fine on cali's 91 octane crap gas with 10% ethanol....