AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   VAG-COM (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/vag-com-94/)
-   -   How to set Readiness on Vag (for anyone that doesn't know) (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/vag-com-94/how-set-readiness-vag-anyone-doesnt-know-208895/)

amiddle104 06-22-2014 03:38 AM

How to set Readiness on Vag (for anyone that doesn't know)

Most familiar with the Vag probably know this, but maybe this will help a newbie.

I was searching a few forums in the last month for an unrelated problem and saw this question come up somewhere, so I thought I'd share how to set readiness for emissions if codes have recently been cleared (so you don't have to drive 40-70 miles to reset the computer). A mechanic I know didn't believe me when I said this was possible (and he works with a Vag on a regular basis-to be fair he works on all cars, he doesn't specialize in Audi's/VW). This is when I thought maybe not everyone who uses the Vag knows this.

On my last Audi I wanted to take through DEQ before selling, but had just cleared codes - I drove it 30 miles, took it to DEQ and was told it wasn't ready. Drove it another 30 miles on the freeway and rushed to DEQ right before they closed for the weekend (didn't have time to check first on the Vag) and it still wasn't ready after driving 60 miles!

I wanted to put my Audi up for sale last weekend and was really frustrated after driving 60 miles and it was still "unready" for DEQ. Not wanting to drive aimlessly anymore wasting gas, I figured out on the Ross Vag/VCDS if you select "engine", click "readiness", and then click "set readiness" it will take you through a series of tests to check readiness (I think it was 32 tests, just kept clicking next until it was done-took maybe 5 min?). After it was done it was ready to take to DEQ without driving anymore.

I did this on my 99 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8 I just sold and the 2000 Audi A6 Quattro I just bought (tags were expired)-both Audi's weren't ready, but after completing this they were ready. Both went through DEQ fine afterwards. I'm sure if either had an emission related problem it would've been a different story as it tests everything emission related. It does beat driving forever though to reset the computer-I'm new to the Vag and am learning, but love it. Hope this helps someone that may not know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Sold my '99 Audi and was so sad I ended up buying another Audi the next day. Same car, one year newer, less miles-this one has a few issues that I didn't know about, so hopefully I'll be able to figure out. Everyone wanted me to buy a Honda, because my husband (a mechanic) passed away, but just couldn't do it-I would've had to buy a 95-98 Honda w/220,000+miles for the same price and my back wouldn't handle it. Hopefully I can fix these issues on my new used Audi myself.

grayfit 06-30-2014 09:25 AM

thanks for the advice