VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

VAGCOM Lite help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 AM
1st Gear
Default VAGCOM Lite help

I'm hoping someone can help.
Here is some info:

99 Audi A4 Quattro

--Using Windows XP

--using Trendnet USB to Serial Converter.
info on it is here
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0335176

That is connected to a ELM323 OBDII Interpreter (for ISO9141-2 and ISO14230-4) it has the RS232 end and the OBD2 end.
It will power on and the light does flicker as it's trying to connect to the car.

I loaded teh VCDS-lite version and when doing the test it connects using COM4(Com4 on pc settings and Com4 on Lite version) but says there were errors. It does allow to save and move around the software to connect to things. It does however NOT connect to any controllers. It doe not pull any of info. When connecting to controllers it just goest through a list and says it cant find the controllers. Tried several different ones.

I tried going to the usb serial port and adjusting the BM options, but the BM Option on Latency was not an option. I can only adjust Transfer Size and REICEVER/TRANSMIT BUFFER from low to high (1-14/16). I'm able to adjust the following:
bits per second
data bits
parity
stop bits
flow control
Transfer Size and REICEVER/TRANSMIT BUFFER from low to high (1-14/16)

Do you have any suggestion on setting that I need to do to be able to connect?
I loaded the software from the ross tech site.
Are there settings here that I need to change that would help connecting?

Start Baud is the first baud rate that VCDS-Lite will try when connecting to a controller. The current default value is 0. This means VCDS-Lite will determine the correct start baud on its own. With our current Interfaces, this field is unavailable.
KW2 Delay has to do with the amount of time used during the initialization of a session between the PC and the car. The current default value is 30. Do not change this value from the default*unless*you are having*difficulties*communicating with a*particular controller. Contact us for advice if you are.
TST Addr. has to do with the packet addresses used by KWP-2000. The current default value is -1. Do not change this value from the default unless*you are having*difficulties communicating with a*particular controller. Contact us for advice if you are.
Debug Level controls how much debugging information VCDS-Lite records. A zero in this field (the default) means NO debug output will be generated whatsoever. This should decrease VCDS-Lite's susceptibility to interference by things like virus scanners (except when logging data). There should be no reason to set Debug to anything other than zero unless you are instructed to do so by Ross-Tech.
Reduce CPU Usage checkboxes will greatly increase responsiveness of other apps running at the same time as VCDS-Lite. The disadvantage is somewhat reduced sample rate.
KWP-1281: The default value is unchecked. This reduces CPU usage when connected to controllers using KWP-1281. Using this feature *may* make the session with some control modules unreliable.
KWP-2000: The default value is unchecked. This reduces CPU usage when connected to controllers using KWP-2000
Blk Int affects the protocol timing. The current default value is 55. To get the highest sample rate possible in the*Measuring Blocks screen, set this to 25. Note, however, that this may cause unreliable communications with some controllers.
Char lnt also affects the protocol timing.*The current default value is 1. To get the highest sample rate possible in the*Measuring Blocks screen, set this to 0. Note, however, that this may cause unreliable communications with some controllers.
KP2 Time only applies to controllers using the KWP-2000 protocol. The current default value is 25. Decreasing it increases the sample rate in Measuring Blocks on control modules that use the KWP-2000 protocols.*The default value should be safe for all*applications, but if it's not, you can always increase it again (to a maximum of 99).
Echo Delay

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

Just got a reply from Ross Tech...thought I would update in case anyone else come across this:

The lite version does not work with the ELM Interpreter!

Can some of you share where you purchased your cable from....I know the place(bay), but from what reputable place/seller there?

Thanks,

Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 AM
2nd Gear

Ross-Tech is reputable might as well start with the best