West AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Registering car from NV to CA. ABS, Brake, and Airbag lights on. Will I Pass Inspect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Registering car from NV to CA. ABS, Brake, and Airbag lights on. Will I Pass Inspect?

My 1999 Audi A4 quatrro 1.8t has the following lights lit up on the cluster:

ABS
Airbag
Brakes - the brake light is flashing

I want to register this car in California, but I am afraid I will fail inspection at the DMV in California. I had never dealt with inspection before. Does anyone know if the inspector will fail me for having these lights on? I don't have a VAG-COM and the nearest person that does is about 50miles away.

I know you can just block the lights from appearing by opening the cluster and covering it up. I might just do this because my Nevada tag is about to expire on the 13th of December. However, I don't want to take that route unless I have no other choice.

I do know why the lights are on. Even if I fix the problems, I'll still need VAG COM to reset it. So my question is, can I pass with these lights on?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM

Chances are your ABS module is damaged and in need of repair/replacement. This is very common. Since your tags expire in a week there's not a whole lot you can do. BUT, I'd start with this: contact CHEAP Bosch 5.3 ABS REPAIR VW Passat Audi A4 A6 A8 S4 they are good for repairing ABS modules. They may have a working unit available they can send out to you (with a core charge) so that when they receive your current one you will be refunded the core charge.

For me the airbag module was inaccessible (via VAG-COM) until I replaced my ABS module. The airbag light most likely won't go away until cleared with a VAG-COM. The ABS/brake light should go away when a working ABS module is installed if that is the problem (which it should be).

Maybe you can find out if there is somebody with VAG-COM local enough to where you're moving?