West AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

SoCal Canyon Night Rally 11/1/13 (SFV-Calabasas)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 PM
PFG
1st Gear
Default SoCal Canyon Night Rally 11/1/13 (SFV-Calabasas)

Hey Audi enthusiasts,

I post some event notices here from time to time for Santa Monica Sports Car Club’s road rallies, but I wanted to make a personal invitation to come out for our next First Friday Niter rally on November 1st. I wrote this one myself to put the focus on the driving experience (and not on doing math like some of our other rallies.) We’re going through the Santa Monica Mountains, generally in an east-west direction, and the course should cover about 65 miles. Some of the usual favorite canyon roads will be included, such as Stunt, Piuma, and Schueren.

This is a TSD rally, not a race, so the important thing is running at the assigned average speed at all times (and you’ll figure out that this can get interesting.) You don’t need any special equipment to run, and any street-legal vehicle can compete. Just bring a navigator, a pen, and some sort of interior lighting. Entry fee is $15 ($10 if you’re an SCCA member.) We have four different classes you can compete in, based on the equipment you bring and your level of experience…we’ve got a special class for novices so you don’t have to compete against more experienced teams.

Also, we’ve got a special sanction for the November rally to include it in the Sports Car Club of America National Tour RoadRally Championship, so if you compete you can earn points for that. So, if you’ve seen these posts before and have been thinking about giving rally a try, this is the perfect opportunity.

Registration and rally start are at the Bank of America rear parking lot in Mission Hills, 15300 Devonshire (corner of Sepulveda, near the 405/118 interchange.) Registration opens at 7 p.m., with a beginners meeting at around 7:30 and first car off at 8:01. Beginners are encouraged to arrive early so that we can help get you set up and answer any questions you might have. Bring your entry fee, driver’s license, and proof of insurance.

Finish location is going to be Wolf Creek Restaurant and Brewing Company in Calabasas…they’ve got an awesome beer selection. The rally should take about two hours to complete.

If you have any questions, post them here or shoot me a PM. Otherwise, I hope to see you on November 1st!