Archive - Wheels/Brakes/Suspension List your Wheels/Brakes/Suspension parts for sale within.

need info on Sportec wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:32 PM
1st Gear
Default need info on Sportec wheels

I'm looking to find out from someone who really knows about these wheels how to tell the real deal from a knockoff. I recently had to replace one of the wheels my car came with-a 19x8.5. Mine were made by Rays foundry in Japan, polished with a light grey between the spokes. I think they may call this anthracite. These I really like. The replacement I had to mount was made in Italy and was painted, and it seemed cheaper made all around.
In addition the hub diameter was smaller than the Rays Foundry and I had to have it machined to use the spacers i am using. The guy that sold the Italian job said it was original and the Rays was the fake-- How do you know? As the company is Swiss I was assuming that they would be made in Switzerland. Maybe I have two different types of knockoffs?

At any rate I prefer the Rays Foundry made in Japan and am interested in buying one or two if anyone has some sitting in the garage. I understand they haven't been made for a few years now.

Al;so they are mounted with Toyo Proxes 255x30x19. I called Toyo and they said that this tire was not approved for the A6 4.2L Quattro I own as the 255's are 1yp (or something) and I needed 265's at 4py, or yp, or something. The tires are nice and have a much higher speed rating than I'll ever need, but I guess it has to do with hard cornering at speed and not just sustained speed on the Autopista. So basically I need someone who has already been to school on these to bring me up to speed on what I have and what I need.

Any information from someone who really knows would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Motoring,

Ole

Old 08-27-2009, 06:52 PM

Oddly enough, the Sportecs made by Rays (Japan) were actually the knock offs.

The ones made in Europe should say "Sportec" on the centercap, not Sportec Design (like the Rays do).

Don't get me wrong, the Sportecs by Rays are lighter and forged but they were a copy from the originals (heavier / softer).

Old 08-28-2009, 06:32 PM
1st Gear
Default sportecs by Rays

Thanks for the info. I had suspected that the Rays were knockoffs, but to me they are actually the superior wheel. I still don't know if the Italian built ones are original or just different knockoffs. Now that I have two different types on the front I have been pulling slightly to the right- irritating. I am going to take it in for alignment to see if they can straighten it out.
This is my first Audi after 39 years of BMWs and I like it a lot. It's a 4.2 with Mahogany pearl and the Sport package. Black inside so it doesn't have that ugly two tone/grey uptop which I don't care for. 83K miles and so far so good. One thing about the BMWs-- they will go 200K miles and still perform, so if the Audi will do that with not too much repair I will be pleased. A beautiful car and it drives like its on a rail. Thanks for the post.

Ole