Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

What would be the smoothest Summer tire for a 2017 A4

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 11:35 AM
1st Gear
Default What would be the smoothest Summer tire for a 2017 A4

Got a brand new 2017 A4 for my wife. We love the car but the ride is a bit harsher than we expected from the previous A4. I think the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season tires are partly to blame. The thread noise is OK but the impact noise is bad. I brought the pressure down from full load to half load, which helped a little but the impact noise is still annoying.

I'll be buying Winter wheels and tires anyway this Fall so I'm thinking about switching the Cinturato to Summer tires on these OEM rims. My priorities are wet traction and ride comfort. I know that on average all season tires are supposed to be more comfortable than Summer tires but the Cinturato may be an exception to this rule.

We had the Conti ExtremeContact DW on her older MB C230 and loved it. The only issue is that these come only in 97XL load rating in the needed 245/40 R18 size. The last time I put XL tires on my wifes' car it was a mistake but that was on the older MB C230 with Michelin PSS. The ride was harsh and impact noise was bad. The only tires in 93 for the A4 are the Michelin PS2. I had the PS2 a few years ago and the ride was OK but tirerack's testing shows the Conti DW as much more comfortable than the PS2.

So which ones will be more comfortable? The Conti DW in 97XL or the Michelin PS2 in 93?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2016, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

Get Continentals. I have had Pirelli, Yokohama, Goodyear and Continentals. Continentals are best with Yokohama 2nd, Pirelli 3rd, Goodyear I won't rate. This is my experience with tires on my three Audis. All will get Continentals for daily driving.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:51 AM
1st Gear
Default is P7 all season over rated ???

[QUOTE=Tymon;1504760]Got a brand new 2017 A4 for my wife. We love the car but the ride is a bit harsher than we expected from the previous A4. I think the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season tires are partly to blame. The thread noise is OK but the impact noise is bad. I brought the pressure down from full load to half load, which helped a little but the impact noise is still annoying.

I'll be buying Winter wheels and tires anyway this Fall so I'm thinking about switching the Cinturato to Summer tires on these OEM rims. My priorities are wet traction and ride comfort. I know that on average all season tires are supposed to be more comfortable than Summer tires but the Cinturato may be an exception to this rule.

We had the Conti ExtremeContact DW on her older MB C230 and loved it. The only issue is that these come only in 97XL load rating in the needed 245/40 R18 size. The last time I put XL tires on my wifes' car it was a mistake but that was on the older MB C230 with Michelin PSS. The ride was harsh and impact noise was bad. The only tires in 93 for the A4 are the Michelin PS2. I had the PS2 a few years ago and the ride was OK but tirerack's testing shows the Conti DW as much more comfortable than the PS2.

So which ones will be more comfortable? The Conti DW in 97XL or the Michelin PS2 in 93?

Did you switch to Continentals??? i am interested in your results and suspicious of tire rack reviews.
From one spot they say P7 a/s is greatest tire and then from another
link they report its hardly average. I hope you can share. I plan tobuy summer tires soon.

Mark

Old 03-29-2017, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

ContiExtremeDWs are fantastic Summer tires but they are currently being discontinued which may make them difficult to replace 'down the road'. Continental is replacing it with the new "ExtremeContact Sport". While this tire is still too new to get a comprehensive evaluation from, it does have a rather non-aggressive tread design for a performance tire which typically translates to a smooth, quiet ride.