Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

winter tire advice needed please - OEM vs. Aftermarket for the rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:43 PM
1st Gear
Default winter tire advice needed please - OEM vs. Aftermarket for the rims?

I have an A5 sLine with 19" summer tire package. I need to get a set of rims + winter tires. Basically I have no clue what to do.

I decided to go down to 18" rims (or is this still too big) Personally I like the look of larger rims but I know that I also need to think of safety and function of the tire itself . My first question -- is 18" still too big or should I go to 17"?

Next what I need advice with is whether or not to get this tire package from the dealer or not. The audi dealers in my vicinity have the following OEM rims + tire options

1) 17" 5 arm wheel w/Pirelli W210 Sottozero II - Price = $2400 (CDN)
2) 17" Alloy ET28 wheel w/Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D - Price unknown yet
3) 18" S5 Dual 5 arm Wheel w/Gislaved NordFrost5 - Price = $3000 (CDN)

none of these packages include TPMS.

Not sure if the S5 rims will fit on the A5, i don't see why not...

My other question is - Can I get an aftermarket rim plus whatever other parts are required, which is as good or better quality that the OEM parts?

Going aftermarket on the rims means I could go to any tire shop and get whatever I want. I can probably save some money and even include the TPMS for less. Although I would be willing to pay a bit more if it means better quality.

So basically it comes down to the rims and whatever other parts are required to attach the tire to the car and whether to get these OEM or aftermarket

Thanks in advance for any advice

Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

You are right about downsizing for winter. Narrower tires have better snow traction. You can definitely do 17".
Where are you located? The dealer's quotes are actually not too bad if you want to stay OE, considered how expensive those OE Audi rims are ($350 - $500 each). The OE rims are good quality and fit perfectly but they are not the lightest for sure.
Newer Audi uses ABS based TPMS system. You may not need the TPMS sensors.
You can buy all sort of aftermarket rims. Of course some are better than others. It all depends on how much you want to spend. VMR / Hartman are popular choices.
Tirerack.com is a great resource for all researching / buying winter tires and rims.
Do a search and you will find a lot discussion on winter packages.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the reply. location is Toronto. Our main streets are plowed fairly frequently so I could do 18". Either way I don't think I would have a problem in the city with either rim size. I like the look of an 18" on this car better.

The tires themselves to me are all the same for the performance versions...maybe the Gislaved are a bit softer than the others, but really for the city I think any tire would be ok.

I'm mainly concerned for the wheel. I read comments from people complaining about vibration after riding on aftermarket rims, or weaker metal that bent on impact etc. After researching aftermarket options online its so hard to tell which are any good because there's so many companies and sub companies its hard to see what came from who and where.

I agree the OEM winter wheels from Audi are good quality even though they are expensive. The finish on them is very nice and looks very durable. I'm going to check out a few aftermarket options at a local dealer just to compare.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

I put winter wheel/tire packages together for my clients fairly frequently around this time of year. The dealership that I work for(...and will remain nameless) is an authorized Tire Rack wholesaler and we sell the OE packages as well. Here are a few of the general guidelines I follow when putting packages together.
First of all, as a dealership we're obligated to follow Audi's requirements for winter tire and wheel downsizing specs. Audi has model-specific requirements for load and speed ratings of winter tires. You'll also find that OE alloy wheels intended for winter use are narrower than most aftermarket alternatives. I usually try to stay with low/high pressure cast, German-made alloys(ie:Rial, Borbet, BBS, ect.) when I'm recommending aftermarket wheels in an attempt to duplicate OE quality. On average, the OE winter packages are $500us-$700us more that comparable Tire Rack packages(German-made alloys, TPMS sensors[if applicable], identical tires). However, Audi's winter package does give you that undeniable factory look plus set of tire totes & 2yrs of road hazard coverage.

UberTeile

Last edited by UberTeile; 11-05-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Administrator

I saw the s/n "UberTeile" (ooo-ber tile-uh), and came here to ban a "spammer." LoL!

To the OP, personally, I would go with 17" wheels (FTR, the "rim" is a part of the wheel, NOT the whole thing [/mini-rant]), because the extra rubber needed to maintain proper sizing/speedo will help absorb some of the hard bumps associated with winter driving.

Flew, you are a bit off in your assertion that narrower tires help with snow traction. Narrower tires help with traction on ice, not snow. On snow, you want to spread the contact patch out over a wide an area as possible. On ice, you want as much psi/contact patch as you can get. So, if you live in an area where ther is LOTS of winter snowfall, stay as close as you can to an OE tire width for best traction. If road ice is more prevalent than snow, go narrower.

And, remember: Never, NEVER, EVER make any sudden control (steering, brakes, gas) inputs when driving in snowy/icy road conditions!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

I stand corrected.
Here's a good article on winter tires that I read recently. http://www.wheels.ca/article/792276

Old 11-06-2010, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
I saw the s/n "UberTeile" (ooo-ber tile-uh), and came here to ban a "spammer." LoL!
Well then, thanx for letting me stick around...lol

Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by UberTeile
Well then, thanx for letting me stick around...lol
No problemo, "Super Parts." NP whatsoevar! (it was the "super parts" thing that attracted me, initially)

Old 11-09-2010, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

To the OP, personally, I would go with 17" wheels (FTR, the "rim" is a part of the wheel, NOT the whole thing [/mini-rant]), because the extra rubber needed to maintain proper sizing/speedo will help absorb some of the hard bumps associated with winter driving.
Too late I already ordered 18" OEM + Gislaved NordFrost 5, but the way I drive in the winter (slow and not maniacal) I doubt I'll have problems. Unless I fall into a pot hole...

I cheeked out some cheaper aftermarket options but didn't like the look or quality. (some no name brand...definitely not putting that on my car)

Flew, you are a bit off in your assertion that narrower tires help with snow traction. Narrower tires help with traction on ice, not snow. On snow, you want to spread the contact patch out over a wide an area as possible. On ice, you want as much psi/contact patch as you can get. So, if you live in an area where ther is LOTS of winter snowfall, stay as close as you can to an OE tire width for best traction. If road ice is more prevalent than snow, go narrower.
Regarding this whole narrow / wide thing, I thought the wider ones are bad for deep snow sort of like snow shoes that 'float' and don't dig in. And the wider ones are better for ice because they give more contact patch to increase the friction.

Last edited by sjs1978; 11-09-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sjs1978
Regarding this whole narrow / wide thing, I thought the wider ones are bad for deep snow sort of like snow shoes that 'float' and don't dig in. And the wider ones are better for ice because they give more contact patch to increase the friction.
FWIG, narrow tires have less resistance when cutting through deep snow, but wider/stock width winter tires will have handling/braking benefits on a packed snow surface.

Quick Reply: winter tire advice needed please - OEM vs. Aftermarket for the rims?