Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

2018 Q5 Audi Pre-Sense Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

hi, ive got an A4 66 reg and have had very serious issues with the pre-sense safety software . its kick's the brake in on my car while driving around the local roads which is unnerving . but more serious is twice its kicked in at 30 mph and 60 mph. ive taken it back to the dealership and they would would not switch it off, just set it at its lowest sensitivity. i had a meeting with the Audi management and if it happens again they have agreed to change my car for the equivalent at no cost. satch899

Old 01-08-2019, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

hi, ive taken my car back to audi twice and they refuse to disable the software . the setting you refer too does not work on my a4 66 model, its there in the setting but when i try to change it , its says not available.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default 2018 Audi Pre-sense fault

We have a 2018 Q7 with less than 12,500 miles which we purchased new. The Pre-sense has activated at least 8 -9 times at random but never while moving. It last occurred last week while sitting at a traffic light among other non-moving vehicles and then suddenly it activated and tightened up on the seat belts and shoulder straps. In each case I was in a stopped position when it activated. It is extremely alarming. The car is at the Audi dealership right now and they can't find anything wrong with it and there is no log of any incident. They adjusted the sensitivity but that is not the problem and I told them so. I told them it is either a design defect, a software issue or a defective component. They are going to realign the cameras but I don't think that will do anything. I'll keep you posted. If anyone else finds a solution, please respond.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:38 PM
MXD
1st Gear
Default 2019 Q5 Pre-Sense Issues continue!

Reading this forum a few weeks too late....just got a new 2019 Q5. Happily driving around then...wham! Seatbelt and brakes. I was in my own lane and wondered what the heck just happened?! Turns out a passing bus can trigger the pre-sense. In what world would engineers decide that close city driving merits an anxiety causing dangerous situation? Same thing happened with a passing bike. Then parking the car.

Service department just told me they can’t or won’t do anything. They won’t even turn down the sensitivity.

We were on the fence between a GLC Benz, LR Discovery Sport and a Q5. Knowing this issue would have helped push us to the other options.

Hope Audi gets their act together.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Presense woes

I feel your pain. Got a 2019 Audi Sq5 in April. Have had three instances wherein I'm waiting at an intersection to make a left turn and the car in the opposite lane is approaching at about maybe no more than 35 mph, with plenty of distance between me and the approaching car. I step on the gas peddle, knowing that I can easily make it across the intersection with no problem. As soon as I hit the gas peddle, the car slams on the brakes and jars the hell out of everyone in the car. Also had two instances when I was just backing out of my driveway in the morning, no passing cars at all, and again, it slams on the brakes for no apparent reason. No obstacles behind the car, etc. I take the car in for service and as predicted, they can find nothing wrong. A few of these instances actually occurred with presense set to off in the MMI system. The service technician tells me that you cannot actually deactivate this system; there is NO off-switch so to speak. Audi really needs to start taking these issues more seriously because it is actually creating more of an unsafe situation than it tries to prevent. It's a miracle that I have not yet been rear-ended. Terrible system. Crappy software engineering.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

you can completely disable it in the computer... dealer showed me how today... worst feature EVER!! its lie an instant Heart Attack!

Old 12-19-2019, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

yeah I have a 2019 Q5, this feature is disappointing and very startling to say the least especially when you have a car full or people LOL@@ they are like WT### I am like yes that's my new Audi! LOL - in just 7 months I have had 22 incidence, mostly parallel parking, backing in then BOOM! Awful sound, like a semi truck hit you... in the middle of a city... Jesus.... FINALLY today took to audit because last time the guy said he never heard of this! lol.. today the guy knew immediately, and went into my car to show me how to take it off... hope that helps....oh and the best was on the freeway at 85mph on a floating bridge, a truck started coming into my lane and it barked my bar like hell!! What!!!? that's the worst thing to do.... lol

Oyyyyyyy Audi, want to love u but can't......

Old 12-26-2019, 03:56 PM
1st Gear
Default 2018 Audi Pre-sense fault

So I made my post in July 2019 about the problem. I brought the car to the dealer for the 2nd time about this issue, sat down with the Service Manager about the issue. They updated the software, recalibrated the sensor (re-aligned it) and also adjusted the sensitivity of the Audi Pre-sense and we have not had an incident since. It's been five months so hopefully that fixed the problem. I am unclear as to whether the sensitivity adjustment can be changed by the owner or if it has to be done by Audi. Anyway, I hope this helps. Great car other than that feature that obviously has issues.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I've been thinking about buying a 2018 A5 which unfortunately has this "feature". I'm afraid I would get Hulk-level angry at the car if it braked (or even just pre-tensioned) when not necessary. I'm a driving enthusiast and a firm believer that a car should do what the driver tells it to do, not what it thinks it should do. So I guess I'll be skipping on the Audi if it can't be disabled permanently. Too bad, since this car is a rare manual and there's a dwindling supply of those these days.