B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

2.0t low oil pressure at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:55 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.0t low oil pressure at idle

New to the forum but would like to contribute to the dreaded low oil pressure issue with these engines. Do not over look the oil cooler. A couple months after a rebuild I had the dreaded warning. One thing I failed to do was change the oil cooler luckily no damage was done but the cooler was packed full of coked up chunky oil. The cooler is fed pre-filter so anything the sump screen misses the cooler will pick up. I kept forcing oil through with forced air into a towel and the debris did not stop coming out. I am going to cut open old cooler and see just how bad. One telling sign is if oil stays in oil filter base and does not drain back after sitting for a while

Old 06-25-2019, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Greg Bently
New to the forum but would like to contribute to the dreaded low oil pressure issue with these engines. Do not over look the oil cooler. A couple months after a rebuild I had the dreaded warning. One thing I failed to do was change the oil cooler luckily no damage was done but the cooler was packed full of coked up chunky oil. The cooler is fed pre-filter so anything the sump screen misses the cooler will pick up. I kept forcing oil through with forced air into a towel and the debris did not stop coming out. I am going to cut open old cooler and see just how bad. One telling sign is if oil stays in oil filter base and does not drain back after sitting for a while
Why not just flush it out with gas or carb cleaner.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Why not just flush it out with gas or carb cleaner.
Flushes aren't effective against packed in coked oil. The pieces are very hard and they tend to lodge themselves in it. Coolers are cheap and no need to worry if they are clear. The problem is the cooler gets unfiltered oil.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Greg Bently
Flushes aren't effective against packed in coked oil. The pieces are very hard and they tend to lodge themselves in it. Coolers are cheap and no need to worry if they are clear. The problem is the cooler gets unfiltered oil.
OK , fair enough so how many miles did you get on the cooler before it plugged up. Also are you sure that the cooler is the problem or could it be a sensor or even something like using the wrong oil or filter. I haven't seen the problem in my kids car but then again I do oil and filter changes at 5,000 miles.