Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

2017 Q7 Factory Towing Package Not Compatible w/Weight Distrubtion Hitches

Old 04-22-2018, 03:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Q7 2017 Equalizer weight distribution/sway

I have been using the Equalizer weight distribution/sway bars with my 2017 Q7 3.0L pulling 5500 pound 23 ft Airstream trailer already gone 10,000 miles with it. No issues. Just had the Audi factory installed hitch inspected by my Audi dealer, pulled off bumper and removed hitch and everything was good, no cracks or movement of bolts. I use a standard ball and mount supplied by Equalizer. Was alarmed reading the posts and did confirm on page 100 in manual not to use weight distribution. After inspecting the label on hitch it says weight distribution 7700 pounds and weight carrying 7700 pounds. Ball distance is shown on other label which I can't read but assume it is shorter then what I have. I know Can Am recommends reinforcing the hitch, but not sure if the way they do it is the best way. Checking this out with my dealer.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks for all the information. More than the Audi dealer knows.

Thank you everyone for the discussion in towing with the Q7. We picked up our new (2018) Q7 with the towing package and plug, without the air suspension, about 6 weeks ago and we are getting our trailer next week. One of the stipulations when we bought the Audi was that they install the brake controller. The salesman ran off to the service department and in a few minutes came back and said no problem. They had to order the parts and would install it in a week. In a week they had the controller but not the adapter to fit it to the curt controller. They only knew this after they tried it. I found a dealer on line in GA who sold a brake controller for the Q7 (again the curt) and they told me that it didn't need an adapter. My dealer said that they could splice into the car wires. No splicing the care for me. The guy where we bought the trailer said he wouldn't touch it. They use the wireless. After waiting for over a month I bought the adapter harness on ebay (see previous posts). I had to splice the curt harness to this one (not to the car's wires) because it is set up for the other brand. Found the Q7 wires where they should be. Plugged everything in and snuck the wires out behind the fuse box access panel that faces the door. Using 3M hook and loop (velcor by any other name) industrial strength that holds 10# I attached the bracket near the hood release . I have to use a butter knife between the velcro pads to get them to release. It is already out of the way and I can unplug it behind the fuse panel, remove it and we don't have to look at it when it isn't towing season. The next day the dealer called and said that they found an adapter. If I screwed up this job I guess I can let them do it after all.

Last edited by tgbyrne716; 08-03-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks to all for their research and advice. I wound up ordering the p3 & alumistinger 3503 off amazon, the toureg plug & play off ebay. Everything should be here monday & i’ll put it together. I plan on using velcro for the p3 so i can easily remove it when not towing.

My audi dealer snaked the connector out for me before delivery. Service manager knew exactly how to do it.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:13 PM
H2O
1st Gear

I've been doing some research on a new Q7 for towing a 5000 lb boat long distance, vs a previous Gen, 2015 Q7 TDI. By all accounts the new Gen Q7 is superior in most areas, except for the lack of the TDI engine option.

Now that the current Gen vehicles have been around enough to log some miles:

- What kind of MPG are you getting towing? (and what is the size/eight of your trailer)

- Has anyone noticed that "tow mode" locks out 7th and 8th gear when engaged? **

** I came across this point in a C&D long term test:

Use of the big Audi also revealed a few towing-specific quirks while in the hands of senior online editor Kevin Wilson, who towed a small camper for a two-week road trip.

“Hooking up the trailer’s electrics triggered a tow mode that, most obviously, resulted in the Q7’s eight-speed automatic transmission effectively locking out access to its top two gears—dragging fuel economy down to an indicated 10 to 12 mpg,” Wilson noted. “Tow mode also deactivated the automated-emergency-braking and lane-keeping-assist systems.”

Old 09-18-2019, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

2017 Q7 towing 4000 pound travel trailer: 10-12 MPG

I have not experienced any lockout of 7th and 8th gear. It would be nice if you could lockout top gears. I sometimes have to put it in manual and keep in 7 on the highway or it'll keep shifting back and forth between 7 & 8.

It does disable some of the safety stuff as they indicate.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:41 PM
1st Gear
Default 12V output to trailer - YES it's the blown fuse!

Originally Posted by Snowbird22
I just wanted to follow-up on my previous posts trying to understand why my 2017 Q7 with factory towing package wasn't providing 12V power to my trailer through the 7 pin socket. Problem resolved thanks to a visit to Audi Stratham in Stratham, NH. They were very professional and quickly resolved the issue.
See attached photo from the Audi manual: In the left side of the rear luggage compartment is a fuse bank. In row B, fuse number 9 provides 12V to the trailer 7 pin socket --- my fuse was blown. Once the fuse was replaced, everything worked perfectly.

I suspect the fuse blew during my extended travels when I was running my 12V trailer refrigerator while towing. Not sure how many amps it draws, I will have to look into this.

I misinterpreted the Audi manual: I was focused on fuse slot number 7, which was empty, no fuse was provided from the factory. Audi Stratham explained this fuse slot is not used in the U.S. market and that's why the slot is empty. I mistakenly thought I was not getting 12V power to the trailer because this fuse was missing. Okay, don't laugh too hard. Everything works now, but thought I would share this in case anybody else is trying to resolve 12V power to their trailer.
Thanks Snowbird22 - it certainly was the 15A fuse located in B9 that is the issue with no 12V output. I remember it working before and then recently not. I'm going to keep an eye on why it blew. I was thinking maybe when using my slideout on my RPod 179 and being hooked up and running the Q7? Not sure, but I'll update if I blown the fuse again.

Dreadlocks is mistaken on this issue, he states it's not a fuse related issue.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2013 TDI Q7 and pull a 4500 lb tool trailer. I don't have a wd hitch and it hasn't needed it since it is pretty level. I am using the Prodigy wireless controller and I love it. You may have trouble pairing the Prodigy controller. Mine was paired using a Chevy truck. Once it is paired, it doesn't care what is towing it. We have several folks using the tool trailer and didn't want everyone to install a brake controller. I love the way the Prodigy works and the handheld controller just plugs into the cigarette lighter for power. All sensitivity adjustments are done from the handheld. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

I just took delivery on a 2017 Q7 3.0L Prestige with the factory installed towing package (2" hitch receiver and 7 pin harness connector). I love the vehicle, but one reason for selecting it was the ability to tow my small camper trailer.

The trailer is a Forest River R-Pod RP-179, which is 20' long, weighs 2,800 lb. empty, and has a gross loaded weight of 3,800 lb. I estimate my loaded trailer weight to be 3,600 lb. and the hitch weight to be 380 lb. My Q-7 is rated to tow up to 7,700 lb. and the manual says the allowable hitch weight is up to 770 lb. So far, so good...

BUT, The manual specifically says to NOT use a Weight Distribution hitch because the additional torque they put into the hitch receiver (to shift load from the rear axle to the front axle and help level out the vehicle) risks failure of the hitch receiver and it could detach from the vehicle! Yikes.

BUT, there's more: The factory hitch receiver has a sticker on it that says that the center of the hitch ball must be no farther than 6.2" behind the center of the clevis pin (which holds the ball mount in the receiver). There are essentially no standard ball mounts on the market which are this short!! Most are significantly longer than this to allow height adjustment and/or the use of weight distribution and anti-sway bars. After researching further, I found an Audi made ball mount (p/n 4L0092770U) which is specified for use on late model Q5's and Q7's', which is apparently within the 6.2" limit and I have ordered it online.

My prior vehicle, a Ford F-150 truck towed the R-Pod with ease. I probably didn't need a W/D hitch with the truck, but I had it set up with a Blue Ox sway-pro weight distribution hitch (Fantastic design, I highly recommend it versus other W/D hitches on the market). Most RV experts recommend the use of a W/D hitch to balance the vehicle and trailer and enable the use of anti-sway devices. I have towed small and large trailers tens of thousands of miles, and agree with this advice. So I am very disappointed that Audi would design a factory hitch receiver for a vehicle capable of towing 7,700 lb., but it can't use a weight distribution hitch, and can't use a ball mount longer than 6.2" to allow any height adjustment. In my opinion, any trailer that weighs 7,700 lb. really should only be towed with a weight distribution hitch and should always allow height adjustment to get the trailer level.

I am hoping my trailer is light enough that I won't need a weight distribution hitch. And even more lucky, my R-Pod trailer hitch height matches the height of the Q7 receiver (about 16" above the ground), so I won't need an adjustable height ball mount (which would violate Audi's 6.2" length limit). So, I am hoping I'll be okay with this trailer.

Of course, some of you will tell me I should have purchased the optional air suspension on my Q7. I probably would have if I had known all this beforehand....

So after all this, I am very interested in other forum members input on this subject. What are you towing with your Q7? What type of hitch do you use and what are your recommendations? Thanks
===============
An expert's take (not me) on weight distribution and the Q7. https://www.kidriverstudio.com/andy-...nam-rv-center/
- documents and videos about the WDH, Sway Control and the Q7

Also, I have been using the Curt Bluetooth Brake Controller for 3 or 4 years. It works really well. Once set, it works without any connection to the app. But you can apply brakes from the app if you want, just like a wired controller. You can set it up for multiple trailers with different profiles. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...rt/C51180.html

Last edited by rjones1138; 09-25-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2023, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

I just took delivery on a 2017 Q7 3.0L Prestige with the factory installed towing package (2" hitch receiver and 7 pin harness connector). I love the vehicle, but one reason for selecting it was the ability to tow my small camper trailer.

The trailer is a Forest River R-Pod RP-179, which is 20' long, weighs 2,800 lb. empty, and has a gross loaded weight of 3,800 lb. I estimate my loaded trailer weight to be 3,600 lb. and the hitch weight to be 380 lb. My Q-7 is rated to tow up to 7,700 lb. and the manual says the allowable hitch weight is up to 770 lb. So far, so good...

BUT, The manual specifically says to NOT use a Weight Distribution hitch because the additional torque they put into the hitch receiver (to shift load from the rear axle to the front axle and help level out the vehicle) risks failure of the hitch receiver and it could detach from the vehicle! Yikes.

BUT, there's more: The factory hitch receiver has a sticker on it that says that the center of the hitch ball must be no farther than 6.2" behind the center of the clevis pin (which holds the ball mount in the receiver). There are essentially no standard ball mounts on the market which are this short!! Most are significantly longer than this to allow height adjustment and/or the use of weight distribution and anti-sway bars. After researching further, I found an Audi made ball mount (p/n 4L0092770U) which is specified for use on late model Q5's and Q7's', which is apparently within the 6.2" limit and I have ordered it online.

My prior vehicle, a Ford F-150 truck towed the R-Pod with ease. I probably didn't need a W/D hitch with the truck, but I had it set up with a Blue Ox sway-pro weight distribution hitch (Fantastic design, I highly recommend it versus other W/D hitches on the market). Most RV experts recommend the use of a W/D hitch to balance the vehicle and trailer and enable the use of anti-sway devices. I have towed small and large trailers tens of thousands of miles, and agree with this advice. So I am very disappointed that Audi would design a factory hitch receiver for a vehicle capable of towing 7,700 lb., but it can't use a weight distribution hitch, and can't use a ball mount longer than 6.2" to allow any height adjustment. In my opinion, any trailer that weighs 7,700 lb. really should only be towed with a weight distribution hitch and should always allow height adjustment to get the trailer level.

I am hoping my trailer is light enough that I won't need a weight distribution hitch. And even more lucky, my R-Pod trailer hitch height matches the height of the Q7 receiver (about 16" above the ground), so I won't need an adjustable height ball mount (which would violate Audi's 6.2" length limit). So, I am hoping I'll be okay with this trailer.

Of course, some of you will tell me I should have purchased the optional air suspension on my Q7. I probably would have if I had known all this beforehand....

So after all this, I am very interested in other forum members input on this subject. What are you towing with your Q7? What type of hitch do you use and what are your recommendations? Thanks
I see this is an old thread...I am in the same position. A Q7 2021, but the 4 cyl. I can't meet the 6.2" **and** get the coupler height I need (21"-23"). You're lucky that the Audi ball mount turns up enough. I am towing an e-pro 20' travel trailer.

What I am thinking is that my 4 cyl rated for 4,400 lbs certainly has the same frame/chassis/hitch structure as the 6 cyl at 7,000 lbs. and therefore at my lower weights -- including 440 hitch weight -- I can safely go past the 6.2". I will probably need to in order to get the height I need.

Old 09-19-2023, 11:42 PM
1st Gear

Wow, reading all of this is a different experience than I have with my 2014 Q7 TDI Prestige w/ Air Suspension.

It tows my race car on an open trailer (about 4700 lbs.) like it is not there at all! I get 18 MPG while towing. No need for sway control at all. The air suspension just levels it, and there is never any lockout of 7th or 8th gear. Maybe because the engine has so much torque, usually I can pull hills and it just downshifts itself.

I installed a Redarc controller which had a remote button which is all that is visible, so there is no controller hanging underneath the dash in the leg area. The controller can be remote mounted, so I pulled the panel below the steering column and mounted it inside there, drilled 1 hole to mount the control button. I would highly recommend the Redarc to anyone looking for a suggestion. Works flawlessly. Redarc even had the proper harness plugin for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 Factory Towing Package Not Compatible w/Weight Distrubtion Hitches