Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Trying to diagnose sound...like a bad CV axle

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Trying to diagnose sound...like a bad CV axle

Hello all - I have a 2009 A3 2.0 Quattro that has a sound like an axle needs to be replaced. It's marble in a coffee can type sound that is noticeable at slow speeds, seems to get worse when turning (either direction but turning right is worse). All good for an axle replacement, but: I just replaced both axles, thinking that would fix the issue, but it's still there. The boots were torn and original on a car w/130K so it felt like a good bet. Also: while I was doing this work I replaced the wheel hubs and lower ball joints, all else is probably original. I've lately begun to think the issue isn't axles since the sound is heard when the car is barely moving. When rolling to stop the sound is there and continues until the car is completely stopped, like the axle must be just barely turning. I just tested this when the car was stopped - I was in the car hearing the sound as it came to a complete stop, sound happening until the end, then rocked back and forth in my seat with my foot hard on the brake to keep the car from moving and the sound was heard. Could this still be the axle? Starting to suspect suspension instead... ideas? Thanks in advance.