Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 dipstick blowing out

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:51 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 dipstick blowing out

Hi, I have a 2006 A3 2.0tdi quatro 170 67000 miles
Recently I have found the dipstick out of place and oil is being forced out, to me this must be some sort of pressure build up. Just wondering if there is anything obvious I could easily check before wasting money at a garage?
Thanks...

Old 02-05-2012, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

Crankcase ventalation has failed, PVC valve maybe?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Hi Chris-C

I joined the forum to post something very similar to your story actually... Please forgive me if my story is slightly different to yours..

My mrs has a 56plate A3 sportback SE 170tdi with 120k miles which we acquired at about 110k.

After a few months I had cause to lift the bonnet to notice that the dipstick had been pushed out. I also noticed that if the car was ticking over but not moving then quickly the cabin would fill with smoke from the exhaust!

I took it to my local garage, Not main dealer who told me that they reckoned it'd be the Breather valve. They informed me that they had changed the crankcase breather and rocker cover. for a few days there was no smoke and the dipstick stayed in.

Then after about 50miles I noticed more smoke and checked, the dipstick cover had blown out again.

This time they suspected that there was so much soot inside the engine that it was creating pressure. They recommended some wonder treatment, Oil, fuel and Air additives (bg42 i think) and charged me a fortune, for a couple of days this thing had no smoke and the dipstick stayed in..

But then it happened again. When I called them up they've suggested that it just needs another expensive treatment.. I've decided that they're being con men but i'm stuck for what can be done.

Is this similar to what you are seeing?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

You are definatley getting boost pressure into the crankcase. Is there also oil around the fill cap? The most common cause is the crankcase pressure regulating valve on the valve cover (could also be called the "PCV"). It also CAN cause erratic idle, check engine light, etc.

By the way, there's a warranty extension on them for 10 years/100,000 miles, or is it 12/120,000, forget which it is right now. (Also same on exhaust camshaft/high pres fuel pump and the intake flap motor) The latest design SEEMS to have taken care of the failure problem, so far.........

Last edited by aspen79; 02-13-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for that info, I called my dealer today... No extended warranty in the UK.

Of course the car hit 121k this week! lol

Old 04-22-2015, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

I'm resurrecting this thread, I also have a 2.0 TDI 170hp from 2007.
Did you guys, with excessive crankcase pressure had a strong exhaust smell which i assume it's slight oil burning in engine?
Please confirm.

Thanks!!

Old 04-22-2015, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

With a strong exhaust smell, I'd take a look at the EGR tubes. They tend to crack in the flexible sections.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aspen79
With a strong exhaust smell, I'd take a look at the EGR tubes. They tend to crack in the flexible sections.
The strong exhaust smell comes directly from the exhaust, not from the engine bay, but i'll check and try to fix the tube coming from EGR cooler to EGR itself and see if it fixes the smell...

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 AM
1st Gear

Hi

I commented on this a while back...

I took it to my garage at the time who couldn't see anything wrong, the car was apparently very sooty and needed cleaning, they put some stuff into the car which cleaned it out and it smelt okay for a short time...but then the problem returned. (as I mentioned above)

I ended taking it back to Audi who actually replaced the injectors under an extended warranty scheme.. again that seemed to solve things for a short time and then the problem returned.

I thought it was perhaps a crankcase valve or something not working right but nothing seemed to be a simple fix.

The Smell and soot were terrible, in the end I sold the car and problem solved!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ryanmcco
Hi

I commented on this a while back...

I took it to my garage at the time who couldn't see anything wrong, the car was apparently very sooty and needed cleaning, they put some stuff into the car which cleaned it out and it smelt okay for a short time...but then the problem returned. (as I mentioned above)

I ended taking it back to Audi who actually replaced the injectors under an extended warranty scheme.. again that seemed to solve things for a short time and then the problem returned.

I thought it was perhaps a crankcase valve or something not working right but nothing seemed to be a simple fix.

The Smell and soot were terrible, in the end I sold the car and problem solved!
That seems to be exactly my problem except my oil dipstick stays in place.
It seems that there's no real solution for this i've already done a massive research on this problemas and nothing seems to fix it: engine timming, injector replacement, DPF replacement or delete, egr replacement or delete and from your case rocker cover replacement...

I'll to try to alleviate the problem with some oil additive to prevent it from burning in combustion chamber...

Thanks for the feedback!!

Quick Reply: A3 dipstick blowing out