Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light (got code) need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Check Engine Light (got code) need help!

The check engine light came on yesterday in my 99.5 Audi A4, 1.8t. I went to auto zone and he pulled the code : P1136 Fuel Air i think is what he said.
Just wondering if someone out there could check the code for me and tell me whats up. It was my dads car up until a month or so ago, and he said that the check engine light had come on before, but his mechanic hadn't found any problems and after a hundred or so miles it would just turn off. Its now got 133xxx miles on it. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Check Engine Light (got code) need help!

YGM

P1136
Long Term Fuel Trim Add. Fuel, Bank1

System too Lean -
Check intake air system for leaks ("false air") Page 24-97

- Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor -G70- Page 24-57

- Check fuel pressure regulator and residual fuel pressure Page 24-93

- Check fuel injectors

Old 06-30-2006, 03:08 AM
1st Gear

Ok.. that about half made sense to me. Though i'm sure i don't know what to do. I'll check around the airbox see if its letting any extra air in anywhere... though i really doubt it is. If its the fuel injectors what could i do... and as far as fuel pressure is concerned, would the fuel filter be restricting it much... cuz i honestly don't think my dad ever got it changed. Thanks david9999.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:09 AM
3rd Gear

could be an O2 sensor malfunctioning. How many miles on your car?

Old 06-30-2006, 05:56 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: akindy
Its now got 133xxx miles on it.
Yeah if it is an O2 Sensor, what are my choices

Old 06-30-2006, 06:53 AM

not the o2 sensor the code is specific to long term fuel trim, idling. bank 1 - system too lean possible causes are fuel pressure/pump, injector air leak, intake/exhaust leak, AIR system leak, hose leak and that one is the most common out of them all

Old 06-30-2006, 11:56 AM

dude start by doing this, remove the airbox and the mas air flow meter, find something that will fit into the air inlet tube and seal it so no air can get past it into the tube at all....have a friend start the car and let it die out..if u have an air leak behind the mas air meter then it will cause a loud hiss/whine and should be easy to find after a few trys....u can do this repeatedly but make sure after each try b4 u start the car again that u release the vacuum in the engine crankcase now by just removing the dipstick or the oil cap

Old 06-30-2006, 01:45 PM

hehe definitely one way to do it though I certainly don't recommend it because it will turn the Christmas lights on lol

Old 06-30-2006, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Yeah... Not sure if i'll go that route, but I highly doubt there's a leak in the airbox (I already looked around). I don't have the stuff here so I'm going to see if i can go to a friends house and put the car up so i can take a look a the fuel line. Would the fuel filter be able to cause a loss of pressure in the fuel line? Because i'm fairly sure it has never been changed in the 133XXX miles put on the car.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:20 PM

its not the air box you should be looking at its the pipes going into the intake manifold especially the one on the under side

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light (got code) need help!