Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak from coolant flange

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant leak from coolant flange

Hey guys, I searched the boards, but couldn't find anything specific on this subject. I was wondering if I would have to drain the coolant to replace the coolant flange. I assume I need to replace that at least.
From appearance, it looks like coolant is leaking out of where the coolant temp sensor actually goes in. I can see dryed up coolant underneath where it is at and the coolant has gotten all crusty around the sensor. Do I need to replace the whole flange, or is there some sort of gasket or something.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Coolant leak from coolant flange

There is a rubber 0 ring that sits between the sensor and the flange. I would try replacing the 0 ring and/or sensor before doing anything else. Since your taking the sensor out to put in a new 0 ring, you might as well just replace the sensor too if your car is more than 5 years old. Its a common part to fail with these engines anyway.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

When I took out the coolant temp sensor yesterday, there was no rubber ring.....thanks again onepoint8tee

Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: less_of_me

When I took out the coolant temp sensor yesterday, there was no rubber ring.....thanks again onepoint8tee
Are you SURE? Sometimes they get stuck down in the flange. Take it out again and stick your finger down in there.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

alright...I will try that later, when the car has cooled down a bit and let ya know what I find.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

I have a leak coming from the fiange on my wifes 02 A4 1.8.Do you know what the cost is to replace the flange?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Ok, so I did find that ring you were talking about, and I reset it back on the CTS. It doesn't appear to be leaking out of that area any more, (and I stress appear) but I did find some crusted up g12 where the flange meets that black metal pipe (forgive my lack of the correct word). So I am going to try and tighten the bolts where the flange meets that metal pipe and also where it conects to the engine.
I was at the audi dealership today, and they sell the flange for 31.00 bucks. In case I need to get the flange, does anybody know of a better website to pick one up?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

at the dealer its about a $600 job...i made that $600 mistake..$500 for labor...get outta here

Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

Dang...more than 500 even. I was wondering if you need to drain all the coolant before you change the flange, or can you just raise the rear of the car and loose a small amount of g12?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

I got a quote here in Ct. from 300 to 400 .That was over the phone who knows what they will whack you with once they have it apart.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak from coolant flange