Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom 1-piece Drive shaft+Diff mount. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Custom 1-piece Drive shaft+Diff mount. PICS

So over new years i tore my stock 2-piece drives haft to smitherines, lucky it didn't damage anything (too much rallying lol) so i figured i'd get innovative. Did some research and could not find anyone who's done a 1-piece shaft on a B5 (the older 90's and other rally cars did it though) so here it is... haha got a custom drive shaft made, light weight, designed to dispurse heat efficiently for minimum flex. Then to cope with the more rigid drive shaft i made a solid rear diff mount at the university machine shop shop.

Edit: oh yeah forgot to mention that the stock drive shaft weighed in at 19lbs, and mine is only 13lbs, much less rotational mass now...

No driveshaft

cutting the aluminum to start the diff mount.

Milling down the block to the right shape for a nice press fit

pressing it in.

New press fitted and welded solid diff mount compared to the rubbery stock bit.

New parts, 1-piece drive shaft and solid diff mount

solid mount fit perfectly

installed drive shaft (no center support bearing woot woot!)

Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Custom 1-piece Drive shaft+Diff mount. PICS

WOW! Thats cool!!! Feel any difference driving wise? Also how much did that run you if you don't mind me asking?

Josh

Old 01-05-2008, 03:08 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

WOW! Thats cool!!! Feel any difference driving wise? Also how much did that run you if you don't mind me asking?

Josh
Differences, yes... it is much easier to swing out the rear end in the snow cuz more power makes it to the rear wheels now, quicker acceleration, its really well ballanced so its perfectly smooth, have taken it up to 105 with no problems, the only thing that got louder is the rear diff... i can hear what the gears are doing in there lol, because the solid mount just transfers the vibrations to the body lol but like i give a sh*t... and pricing the rear diff mount cost me $5 for the block of aluminum, and then i talked to Englewood Driveshaft (a shop in colorado) and they loved the idea so they did it for me for $270 (got lucky, usually that kind of stuff costs about $900-1000)

Old 01-05-2008, 03:28 AM
5th Gear

sick! you continue to impress me. someone on AZ made their own homebrew differential as well http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168868. you should buy my k04 it would make for a sick rally car. that k04 is a torque factory

Old 01-05-2008, 05:52 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Niiiiiiiiice, but, aren't you worried about removing that 6lbs of weight? I mean, obviously Audi made our cars heavy for a reason, so we don't flip over and die!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Slut

ORIGINAL: CLX

Niiiiiiiiice, but, aren't you worried about removing that 6lbs of weight? I mean, obviously Audi made our cars heavy for a reason, so we don't flip over and die!

its not just for weight reduction... thats rediculous. it robs less power through the driveline.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator

I don't recall if it's available, but I bought a one-piece driveshaft for my Z from Powertrain Industries - for someone else who needs one, it might be worth it to talk to them. Mine was steel and cost me $193 including shipping from CA to NY (aluminum was available too, for about $300, and CF for $1100). Very cool mod - I love the diff mount! Looks really good, like it came from a performance tuning shop - nice work!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: FasterA4ThanUrs

ORIGINAL: CLX

its not just for weight reduction... thats rediculous. it robs less power through the driveline.
Looks like someone failed Car Humor 101. N00b.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 AM
5th Gear

holy $hit dude. your my hero lol. i think it's time to add some more power to that car though. too bad my school doesn't have a lift.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

hahahaha, just woke up,a nd that made my day lol, but the reason why the Z driveshaft was prob cheaper is because they make a lot of them, cuz i know quite a few people with Z's and 240's that did the single piece drivehsaft conversion, but for mine i had a hard time finding someone who would make one for my car, it was nice though, the guy drove like an hour to come by and take measurements of the car and **** and then came back the next day with a driveshaft that fit perfectly and is reallly well ballanced

Quick Reply: Custom 1-piece Drive shaft+Diff mount. PICS