Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emission control system light on NEW 2017 Audi A4!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:16 PM
1st Gear
Angry Emission control system light on NEW 2017 Audi A4!

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2017 Audi A4 and it currently has around 500 miles on it.

Just the other day, I was pulling into the driveway and right when I stopped my car (To put it on reverse) my brake pads locked and my car shifted to Park. I tried a couple times getting it on Drive or Reverse but the brake pads were not budging. I then tried turning the car off and back on a couple of times but I can no longer hear the engine running.

That's when I saw the "Emission Control System" signal show up. It stayed like this for a good 10 minutes until my car finally started. Today, I felt the car "shaking" when it was not moving. It kind of felt like I was sitting on a massage chair on low settings.

This is making me quite nervous as this car is new, has anyone ever experienced anything like this or have any suggestions on how I should proceed. I'm taking it in for service tomorrow but I am quite worried as this car is not even a month old. I drive less than 20 miles each day. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank You

Old 06-30-2016, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear

I have never heard of a car locking the rear brakes and shifting its self into park before. Both strike me as extremely dangerous.

Since it is a 2017 I would let the dealer sort it out. It is not unusual to have issues with a new car. Sometimes a part is defective.

We had a brand new Mazda Tribute and less than 1k miles on the odometer the AC stopped working. Had to have the compressor replaced. Then with less than 5k the alternator went out. After that was replaced we drove the Mazda for 70k more miles before we traded it with no further issues.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
I have never heard of a car locking the rear brakes and shifting its self into park before. Both strike me as extremely dangerous.

Since it is a 2017 I would let the dealer sort it out. It is not unusual to have issues with a new car. Sometimes a part is defective.

We had a brand new Mazda Tribute and less than 1k miles on the odometer the AC stopped working. Had to have the compressor replaced. Then with less than 5k the alternator went out. After that was replaced we drove the Mazda for 70k more miles before we traded it with no further issues.
I was quite shocked too, luckily this happened right outside my house rather than somewhere in the middle of the road. It was quite late at night so didn't have much options so spent some time researching it online and not much came up, and if it did, it was all on cars with 60000+ miles. Took it in today and they'll be running tests, hopefully they find the cause of the issue. Thank you for your response, less nervous now that I'm not the only one with a faulty new car.

Just looked up some laws for purchasing defective new cars right now and noticed with an issue like mine I would be able to get a refund/new car if they are unable to get it fixed and if it were to happen again. I probably should have recorded/took some pictures when it happened for proof.