Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump and brakes... Unlucky, or need second opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Power steering pump and brakes... Unlucky, or need second opinion?

I've got a 2004 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, currently 84k miles, that has given me nothing but trouble since I got it in 2008. In '09 the power steering pump failed and was replaced by a local import repair shop; now it's making those familiar dying-whale noises and they're saying it's another $800 replace it and the serpentine belt. What in the world is happening for the power-steering pump to fail twice in ten years?

Secondly, the shop told me that I've run the rear brakes down to the metal and will need to replace the pads and rotors. Now, that's odd, because brake pads are supposed to make it pretty obvious when you need to replace them, right? But they've made no noise at all, and there's been no change in braking performance.

I suppose I'm asking if this information means my shop is suspect and I should get a second opinion, or if this is the kind of thing that has been known to happen to particularly unlucky Audi owners. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear

Get a second opinion. If the pads went to metal you should be able to feel and hear it. With that said most rotors now do not last long. You use to be able to "turn" rotors a couple of times on older cars. Now a days with weight such a factor in cars the rotors are much thinner to start with. Wouldn't surprise me if your pads are wore out and they and the rotors need replacing.

Power steering pump really isn't something that goes bad often. Having two go out is even odder. I have over 140k miles on my car and have had no issue with the pump. I did have to add fluid once and it takes a special kind. If you put the wrong kind in and can destroy not only the pump but the rack as well.