Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement - OEM or Cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Windshield Replacement - OEM or Cheap?

I was hoping for some feed back on the importance of replacing my windshield with an OEM unit vs. the local glass shop.

I am pretty rententive about keeping my car "original" in looks and was wondering ifthe manufacture of the windshield plays in to the trade-in / resale value of an Audi? BTW I am asking for you opinion, and not necessarily reality.

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Windshield Replacement - OEM or Cheap?

i would go with local glass shop, but before you get any glass from them ask questions… when I replaced windshield they installed greenish tinted grass with VW-AUDI logo on it… just like original part for $125 installed, some of you know how much dealer would charge for this.
most local shops have access to original parts.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear

i have chips in my windsheild so i would want to get a new one, any one know if there is any minimums for damage.??

Old 04-25-2007, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear

I don't think anyone will be able to tell (or even look for) if the glass is not OEM. The glass should be to OEM spec (can you buy one out of spec?). If by OEM unit you mean getting it at the dealership, I def wouldn't do that. I would hit up a local glass shop and just make sure they are putting one in that meets OEM specs. And prob just make sure it doesn't have like a weird tint or coating or something on it.

Minimums for damage? What does that mean? You need to replace it if you get cracks. If you have tiny chips even with a little spidering on it, you may be able to get them repaired. Your local shop should be able to do this (and tell you whether it can be done or needs to be replaced). There are also places that will come to you either to do repairs or even a full replacement.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:41 PM
5th Gear

OEM is cheap man mine was not very much at all

Old 04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks TDrill, i mean i have 2 small chips int the glass on actually maybe all the way throught the glass, but are smaller then a dime. what im asking is if the windsheild doesnt have any spider cracks, just chips will my insurance cover it, i have full glass its an extra 4 dollars for 6 months.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

You could also have the chips filled in if you wanted, sometimes you cant even tell sometimes it looks like ****. So if ur feelin lucky...

Old 04-27-2007, 04:52 AM
1st Gear

make sure you ask questions about the glass cuz i had mine replaced and it wasnt big enough so they had to order one from audi and reinstall it in my car. save yourself a headache and ask q's

Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would put my two cents in since I was at one time an insurance agent. An aftermarket windshield is NO different then an OEM. Most glass at least in MN is supplied by PPG and where they get it from is the same place Audi or any other manufacturer got it. No car manufacturer produces there own glass. So really all you will pay extra for is the Audi symbol. If that is important to you then get the "OEM" glass. If not you will have the exact same thing.