Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Revisit: Audi (A5) Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Default Revisit: Audi (A5) Quality

I have a slight different wrinkle on the thread that Pete started. I currently have a 2004 A4 Cabriolet that I love - EXCEPT that it has been a complete lemon. For the past 5 years (of course - the 1st 4 years were under warranty) the car has probably been in the dealer service department 2-3 times a year with largely electrical problems: window switch, top switch, I was towed in because of coil failure (and later there was a recall for that very reason), starter. And now it is in the shop and I'm having the TCM replaced (I assume that TCM is the same as TCU??).

When I bought the car in 2005 I remember that the Audi was highly rated. But now when I look back, the 2005 (and earlier) cars have been poorly rated for reliability, but the more recent cars are better rated.

So my question: Has Audi cleaned up its act with regard to quality? I know that the A5 is a new model, but if Audi has indeed solved its quality problems, then I might buy the A5 convertible because, other than the repair problems, we love the A4. Otherwise will look elsewhere. (problem is, can't find a FWD convertible that we like).

Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

"So my question: Has Audi cleaned up its act with regard to quality?"

If by quality you mean like most people do a lot of things go wrong, do I have to go back to the dealer to get things fixed then no they certainly have not!! In fact the B8 cars which includes the A5 has been a real setback for quality.

My A5 has spent over 2 months in the shop in the first year, and it still is not fixed.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

Well as far as quality is concerned my 2007 A4 is pretty well put together. I have had 2 coil packs go bad, and the PCV go bad. I did not pay anything for those items as it is under warranty. Also Audi did a recall to all cars that use the coil packs (FSI/TFSI engines) and replaced the bad ones. Other than those items, I have had no problems with my little 2.0T and have had lots of fun with it on the German Autobahns. From what I have seen here (Germany) the Audi's are rated as one of the top cars that Germany makes, and you see them everywhere. Of course there is always going to be a "Montag" (monday) car and yours unfortunatly might be one of those.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Consumer Reports Report on Reliability

Consumer Reports doesn't seem to hold huge stock in the Audi A4. Cars older than the 2006 appear to have an array of problems, engine, fuel, electrical.

BMW looks quite a bit better. The car has to be at least older than a 2005, and even then, there are fewer types of issues.

We just test drove the BMW 328i, and it's great, but only rear wheel drive is available. So we would get the Audi A5 quattro premium plus, if we do get a new one... a nice upgrade from our 2006 A4.

But it'll be difficult to give up the Amulet Red 2006 A4. What a beautiful color!!!