Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 A6 water on Passenger Floor where are all of the drains located?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default 02 A6 water on Passenger Floor where are all of the drains located?

After some heavy rain last few days I noticed the cars smells like crap. Found passenger floor is wet. I have read about the drains being clogged and plan to clean them tomorrow any insight would help. Where does it actually get in? Is there a drain under the Battery?

I'll look for a place to pop another few weep holes in to let it out. Damn it took me a month to get that car to smell like new. Oh well.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2009, 02:33 PM
3rd Gear

On the C4 I have only a drain and is located under the Heater Core Unit. Of course the battery on mine is located under the rear seat.

As others used the plural when talking about C5s, C6's, probably you have two drains under the cowl, one under the battery and probably another one more toward the driver side.
If they're clogged, the only way for the accumulated water to sip into the cabin is through the fresh air vent flap. At least that's the only explanation for water flooding only the passenger side footwell.
The hole/s has/have at the bottom a rubber "nipple" ring with multiple cut-outs. That's probably a design to not let stuff in from under, although with the belly pan in place I don't see how anything would (by accident) protrude through the drain hole without that rubber in place. You can either eliminate it, or cut its multiple "flaps" altogether so the hole would remain unobstructed for the future, or minimizing the likelihood of leaves/ect. remaining wedged in there and clogging the hole.

Here are a few pics I just snapped for you, to have an idea what you're looking for even though are different models:

-
Name:  Drain-1.jpg
Views: 7338
Size:  56.7 KB
-
Name:  Drain-2.jpg
Views: 8209
Size:  52.2 KB
-
Name:  Drain-3.jpg
Views: 5009
Size:  43.9 KB

Last edited by chefro; 08-02-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 PM
2nd Gear

Great! Thanks for that, I'll be on it in the morning.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:41 AM
3rd Gear

You're very welcome, Jack.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

The drain under the battery box was wide open. It rained so hard the only thing I can think of is that the water made it under the cover some how and leaked into the cabin air filter.

Well I dried it out and have it smelling nice again. I put some tape over the cover seam and I'll see how that does.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM
4th Gear

If you sunroof drains are pushed back into the body holes they will dump water in. Mine are located at both front door hinge areas and rear fenders.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
If you sunroof drains are pushed back into the body holes they will dump water in. Mine are located at both front door hinge areas and rear fenders.
They are the same way as in my non-quattro.
What I can't envision is how the water from the front sunroof drains (even if pushed back into the holes - and they wouldn't be pushed anyway farther than the edge of the hole if you don't physically do that) could be dumped into the cabin (anywhere) without the upholstery/headliner leaving a hint of dampness?
If the front drains would be clogged, then the water would fill up the tube and start moving at some point in time toward the rear drains.
Even if that isn't the case and it doesn't flow toward the rear drains, pooling on top and dumping it inside the cabin, it should be the headliner that gets soaked, not the footwells.
The front "channels" for the tubes are sealed (enclosed) completely, is like a "second layer" of metal sheet throughout the A pillar. I really don't see how the water would be dumped into the footwells (actually only on one footwell- the passenger one since no one ever reported water in the driver side one), unless you have a big crack in the pillar.

Last edited by chefro; 08-04-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
4th Gear

if the drains are pushed back into the fender, they wouldnt be plugged but would dump water in the footwells.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 AM
3rd Gear

But the draining tubes are in no contact whatsoever with the fenders. They come down through the A pillar and surface out in the holes between the door hinges, so that's still in the door's "drame".
The fenders, just like in any other car, are bolted/welded onto/over the engine bay frame, are they not?
Jim, I'm not trying to be a nag or contradict you for no reason. I'm trying to understand how exactly water would get into the footwell, since as said, the "channels" for the drain tubes through the pillars are enclosed.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear

What makes you think the a-pillars are sealed? I've been involved in building bodies for a formerly leading auto manufacturer and the a-pillars were never sealed. If a drain tube cracks somewhere in the a-pillar area, that foot well gets some water. How much depends on the nature of the crack (slight crack versus complete seperation).

WHat you need to do is blow some air through your drain tubes. Use some soapy water around the a-pillar trim and see if you get any bubbles when you blow air through the sunroof drain tube. If you do, you have a cracked tube.

If this results in no leaks, then you need to look at the door seals and windshield seal. Again, spray the seals with soapy water, then turn your blower on high to pressurize the cabin. Look for bubbles.

Good luck,

Bob

Quick Reply: 02 A6 water on Passenger Floor where are all of the drains located?