Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 AFC have a hydrualic TB tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM
4th Gear
Default 2.8 AFC have a hydrualic TB tensioner?

Lets try this again.. Posted in the General Tech forum with no answers yet, so will post the link here..

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/gen...nfused-200889/

Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

In the link you provided, in the third picture down, it is labeled with the red number "4". That is the tensioner; then when you pull the pin out there's an arm that extends which then pushes number 3 into number 2, thus providing tension on your timing belt to prevent slippage.

You will not see the pin I am talking about as your tensioner has already been used. You can either re-use the existing tensioner by compressing it again with a large c-clamp and using a small nail or pin to hold it down until you're ready to re-apply tension, or simply buy a new one (Buying a new one is the recommended route as the tensioner usually fails before the belt does).

Is that what you were looking for? I hope that helps.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear

EDIT: Sounds to me like you're going to need to get your hands on a new tensioner, three new bolts, and drill any broken ones out to properly re-seat your tensioner.

Sorry, I didn't read your other thread all of the way through before posting.

Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 10-14-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:30 PM
4th Gear

I already have a 'new' one.. it is just a pulley... no pin. In the link I posted, there I do not have numbers 3 and 4. They were not on the car when I took it apart.. ?? Just a pulley tightened to the block.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

Just to clarify, do you have three screw holes down and to the left of that pulley? From your picture it looks like they are there. I can see the larger allen head bolt you have in the block from where that pulley went, and then there are spaces to the left of that where the other components of the tensioner system should have been.

I can't see how the previous owner or mechanic went ahead without those two components and without messing up the timing, especially have it last a decent amount of time on the road. Even without the tensioner you would have no way of assuring how much or how little force was being applied to the belt.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM
4th Gear

That is correct.. The holes are there but no tensioner. The pulley was tightened to the block fairly tightly. It is indeed wierd as I bought the car with 102000 miles and now have almost 185000.. So it held up well.

I went looking for a tensioner online and all I found were pulleys. It appears there is no tensioner for sale for a 96 2.8l AFC motor.. ???

I'm friggin lost. �� couple that with trying to repair the broken water pump bolt that started all of this and I'm thinking time for the car to go...

Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 PM
4th Gear

I think its important to note that my engine is one with 2 electric fans and the 'square' coolant reservoir, unlike every picture of the 2.8 AFC I have seen online.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:08 PM
2nd Gear

Here is a link to timing-related components for your car:

Audi A6 Quattro Timing Parts | FCP Euro

Hopefully that helps you out. I ordered two axles from them recently and they were able to get me going pretty quick. I recommend using them for parts.

I'm going to guess that the previous shop / owner tightened the crap out of the pulley so it wouldn't roll back. When you get the new hardware you will see what I'm talking about and how it all works. You're very lucky this engine did not foul up its timing.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

Thanks... Every one that shows an actual tensioner says its NOT for my engine.

Heres the page for my engine.. Audi A6 Quattro Timing Parts | FCP Euro

Im starting to think what I have is correct..

Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

Wow, sorry, all this time I thought it was a 98! I'm off today, I swear.

From what I gather that's the correct hardware, then. I'm assuming you need a special tool (Or a flat head) to slip the belt on around that tensioner once it's installed. Again, my experiences have been with the newer, more traditional "grenade-style" tensioners so this is where the confusion comes from. Hopefully another member familiar with the older Audi engines can back me up on this.

Quick Reply: 2.8 AFC have a hydrualic TB tensioner?