Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 2.7T Base - Power Steering Pump Replacement Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation 2000 A6 2.7T Base - Power Steering Pump Replacement Issues

Replaced P/S pump because the old one toasted in the middle of a p/s fluid change. I bought a Cardone Reman w/ lifetime warranty. It came with a whole selection of o rings and a gasket that were not present on the original pump I took out. I used the smallest o-ring which I assumed went at the tip of the banjo bolt (high pressure out). It also came with new crush washers. It stays good for a few days then suddenly it begins leaking p/s fluid from the high pressure outlet at the banjo bolt

I've swapped the pump with a new one (lifetime warranty ) so this is the second replacement and it has gone bad again. I've sealed all the power steering clamps the only place it is leaking from is the banjo bolt.

My question is this:
1.) Do I use any sort of o ring or is that not applicable to my cards p/s pump
2.) Do I need to get crush washers from the Audi stealership? I know I had to when I changed the fuel filter as the aftermarket ones kept leaking.

I seem to never get an answer on any problems I have on here, but I always try to answer everyone else (that I can)! Please let me know if you've had any experience here I've about had it with taking the lock carrier off!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

I replaced mine several months ago and it hasn't leaked at all. I wonder if you're over-tightening the bolt, crushing the washer too much. I don't recall a torque spec, but maybe try a new washer and just snug it down, and see if it leaks. If so, tighten it a little and test again, until you get it sealed. Hydraulics can be a real pain sometimes.

The other possibility is there's a blockage in the high pressure hose or in the steering rack causing the pressure to go too high, causing the leak over time. Might be what killed the pump in the first place...
Jim

Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 PM
1st Gear
Default You may be right

Originally Posted by eejimm
I replaced mine several months ago and it hasn't leaked at all. I wonder if you're over-tightening the bolt, crushing the washer too much. I don't recall a torque spec, but maybe try a new washer and just snug it down, and see if it leaks. If so, tighten it a little and test again, until you get it sealed. Hydraulics can be a real pain sometimes.

The other possibility is there's a blockage in the high pressure hose or in the steering rack causing the pressure to go too high, causing the leak over time. Might be what killed the pump in the first place...
Jim
Found the torque spec, 50NM. I couldn't even get it close to that before the threads slipped. Banjo actually cracked in half. Just ordered a new one and a new p/s res.

My rack has a leak in on the driver side seal, the boot has come off the rack side too. It's a slight leak. I've got some mechanical skill, but from what I've heard and seen, replacing the rack on the 2.7T is a nightmare (thanks to the squeezed turbos)

My p/s res looks like there is too much pressure from the line returning from the p/s cooler, as it is makes somewhat of a slight fountain when the car is running, not enough to cause an eruption or for it to spill out, but its under much more pressure than it was before.

The old pump croaked when I was flushing the p/s fluid turning the wheel lock to lock. It erupted fluid out of the hole on the res cap. Reason being to change it was that the pump was making high pitched metal on metal noise when getting near 1/2 a turn close to full lock.

I'm going to scour the web for an actual DIY rack replacement on the 2.7T, if all else fails I'm going to have to take it to an indi shop and drop $1,100 and just have the rack & rump replaced (lifetime warranty on the pump)

Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Update

So The Banjo that was in the pump originally (at least when I bought the car) was failing & I believe the wrong banjo. It actually broke while I was trying to torque it to 50nm so it was a POS. Called ECS to make sure if I bought it from them it was the right part. Referenced the part number with the Audi dealer to make sure it was correct. Only cost $6.00 & was a different banjo. It was actually cheaper than the crush washers from Audi ($4.00 a piece). It threaded perfect & torqued to spec without any issues. P/S leak is now managed. Bought a new res because the filter broke in the old one which caused the "churn".