Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF Vs Pentosin/AUdi ATF

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:49 PM
4th Gear

The important thing to remember when working on cars like ours is that they are more than 10 years old! Which, of course, means that while the fluids might have been somewhat 'special' then, they are common place or superseded now. Audi dealers making a buck not withstanding....

Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by hxgaser
I was scared just like you and used Pentosin, but I came to find out that Pentosin is not the OEM either. The factory uses Esso. Also what I came to find out is that Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF meets ZF LT71141, which is the requirement for Esso LT71141.
Pentosin is the same as ESSO LT71141 and both are made by Pentosin. MSDS for Pentosin ATF 1 uses ESSO LT71141 name as a synonym. Other fluid may be of a similar quality (but they will have different additives) and compatibility with Pentosin may not be as good as if you use only Pentosin. Compatibility is something that is unknown and the best will be if you do not mix fluids from different manufacturers (unless they are the same product as in case of Pentosin and ESSO LT71141).
SK

Last edited by skov; 05-11-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:34 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by skov
Pentosin is the same as ESSO LT71141 and both are made by Pentosin.
Got proof on that?

Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear

Ha ha - here we go again=>
Where in the picture is the ZF Lifeguardfluid5
You might contact ZF Friedrichshafen AG for an extensive info – again and again.
My wonder is how the search option on the forum is not used here , because all ATF aspects were already clarified, even the correspondence with ZF was posted.
It is evident to me that despite the general rules and success stories (with any fluid) there are so many deviations from the main stream that one could say:
Follow your heart!
Run with whatever ATF you are happy with and your particular transmission is!
(after 100k the initial transmission uniformity is far gone – the one’s experience could hardly be applied to another’s case)

Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

I used the Mobil 1 and I have been driving on it for 25K miles and I have had no issues using Mobil 1, it's the way to go. Out of curiosity, when coming to a stop, does the transmissions stay in 2nd longer than it should? i have always experienced this , I would have liked it to shift into first sooner than it actually does. is this a common set up or is there a programing update for this to improve it?

Old 07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
4th Gear

Ya.. mine seems to do this also... If I do a 'rolling stop' its still in 2nd when I take off.. I've noticed this a lot on cars lately...

Old 07-01-2010, 02:32 PM
4th Gear

Nice edit skov

Old 01-02-2015, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Have a 95 2.8 auto A6 had 161k, doggy slow on engaging the tranny, put it up on blocks, drained the tranny, put in Mobile 1 full syn... worked beautifully, nice crisp shifts and that was 50k ago!
Wife's car is a 2001 Quattro 2.7 A6 w/100k when I picked it up... drained and refilled with Mobile 1 Full Syn (same animal) and have put 30k on it. Works nice.
..... SCREW Audi, they simply think their **** don't smell !
..... the sky ISN'T falling. It's just a tranny.

Last edited by Timmyc4; 01-02-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Pentosin ATF 1 vs Lifeguard5 vs OE Fluid

After an unexpected incident, I am replacing the transmission fluid in a 2005 Allroad 2.7T with 98k. Not wanting to spend $50/liter on OE transmission fluid, I did some research. The manufacturer of the 5HP19, ZF Industries, recommends using an ATF called Lifeguard5, which is supposedly what the "lifetime" fluid (according to Audi) is that comes in the transmission. When comparing the MSDS sheets for this and the Pentosin ATF, they are identical. So much so that I actually called Pentosin. They sell ATF 1 to ZF Industries, which puts it in a different bottle and sells it as Lifeguard5. I was told that Audi does something similar. So...ATF1 is basically the OE fluid according to both ZF Industries and Pentosin. Likely won't get the same answer from the stealership. Additionally, I was told it was HIGHLY recommended to change the fluid in the transmission before 110k, better at 80k.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

Tranny fluid. We don't often think of it, but it's in the back of our mind kind of worrying about it until the tranny starts acting up, then we panic! I have a 2008 Audi A4 B7 quattro 2.0T s-line with 6 speed tiptronic transmission 09L and Pentosin ATF1 is the right fluid per the good info available on O'Reilly Auto Parts website. In fact, this is the right fluid for a LOT if not most Audi and BMW trannys built by ZF (but not the CVT or constant velocity trans.). The car had 118K miles and had no clue if the fluid had ever been changed and the car started downshifting hard into 5th and once going slow it simply went out of gear altogether! Well, that was it! Bought the Beck Arnley filter/gasket kit on Amazon for $102. and this 5L jug for $55. shipped, as well. Draining removed about 4 3/4 liters of tannish/brown fluid, but it looks pitch black sitting in the drain pan I used. Removed the trans. pan, cleaned the magnets which were coated with metal junk and following youtube instructions, installed the new Vaico filter (old filter looked original and was a bit sunken-in looking as if it might have been clogged and sucking hard), then filled the pan using a 12v pump I also bought on Amazon for $16., then started it up and it took another 2L, about emptying this 5L jug. Topped it off at a tranny temp of about 40C after cycling through all gears until it overflowed the fill hole per instructions on youtube videos. Took it for a test drive and WOW! I never knew my tranny could be improved so much. Besides being smoother in all gears, the downshift to 5th became smooth again and the biggest difference was that it now selects the correct gear effortlessly under all conditions, especially when going slow and I just peg it, the downshift selects the perfect gear for fastest acceleration now. Before, it would usually not downshift sufficiently to really GO. It did present a few hiccups at first which I attributed to the new fluid cleaning the dirty tranny and temporarily clogging the maze of pathways, but this went away after maybe 20 miles of driving. Just bought another 5L jug of this amber-colored fluid to do a drain and refill after another 500 miles since that was recommended at an Audi blog.... the filter change/new fluid "cleans" the deposits and junk in the dirty transmission, but leaves a lot of particles in the new fluid mix of old and new tranny fluid since the tranny holds 9L but you can only replace 5L at a time. Then, after 500 miles of driving with the new/old mix, the fluid is dirty again from this cleaning action. So, dumping the 5L a second time and adding the second 5L jug will once again make a cleaner mix, but will stay cleaner since the tranny was just cleaned by the earlier pan/filter/fluid and driving the car for 500 miles as the fluid cleans the tranny good. So, all in all, it's the right, BEST fluid for my Audi, many VWs and BMWs as well. I am really SO very pleased with the result in improved shifting smoothness, accurate gear selection, nicer idle and I even got maybe another 1.5 mpg after the first service, but not sure why. My advice, do it sooner than later and save yourself a ton over having a dealer tell you it's lifetime and never needs to be changed. The dealer idea is to simply charge you about as much as your car is worth to change the tranny instead, apparently! Oh, and don't forget to have your car perfectly level before you drain the fluid! Just put a little level on your battery top. If it's level front to rear and side to side, so is the tranny. OK, now get to it! haha.

Quick Reply: ATF Vs Pentosin/AUdi ATF