Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi a6 ECU NOT COMMUNICATING with computer.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 PM
1st Gear
Default audi a6 ECU NOT COMMUNICATING with computer.

it is a 2.8l 2001 fwd. check sign is on but i went to get a diagnostic and the dealer told me the ecu is not communicating. if anyone has had the same problem please tell me what i need to do to fix it. the car runs fine. no problems. has 86k miles. abs light is on thats all
thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

I'm surprised that the dealer did not tell you what needed to be done and recommend a repair. Did he not know?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

I have the same thing goin on with my 2001 audi 4.2L. Is your car in fail safe mode. Is it shifting fine? mine is in this fail safe mode, did some research and found that it is a common problem for the ecu to get wet. and sure a **** my ecu is soking wet. your ecu is located under the passenger side carpet. now my other audi is doing the same thing, so I checked the ecu on that one, and sure as **** it is also wet, and i mean wet not damp, what a major malfunction. So im getting closer to the problem but haven't found the solution quit yet, I'm gonna assume a wire fried out because of the water. but before i tare into that i want to find out if maybe if you just have to clear the code after drying thouroughly if that will take it out of this mode.
Lets collaborate on this one man, I'm getting so close.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by oldmots
I'm surprised that the dealer did not tell you what needed to be done and recommend a repair. Did he not know?
They told me they would need to keep the car for a couple days and he said this has never happened to him b4. I dont have another car so I was forced to take my car back.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

Also my transmission is not in safe mode. But the only thing weird with it is that under hard braking the tranny struggles to reach 1st it reaches 0 seconds after it completely stops. I want to check my ecu. Where is it located on the passenger side?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

There's a carpet flap that will peel back from the firewall revealing the source of your problems. I had the same issue with the wifes A6. Comp was wallowing in water. Took the unit apart, substantial corrosion inside. I was able to clean it up enough so that it runs as it was intended. Just a suggestion, you may want to pull all your carpets up and take a peek underneath. I can almost assure you you will find substantial moisture throughout the vehicle. I was stunned by the amount I found. These cars leak like sieves. Audi/VW spent $70M settling a class-action on similar isses.
Good luck to you!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

Just so everyone is clear here the transmission control module is located under the passenger front carpeting the interior control module is located under the driver front carpeting and the ecu - engine control module is located under the hood on the drivers side firewall. These are all three very different components but all will effect each other if moisture has gotten in them.

Since the shop is telling you that the ecu is not communicating yet the car is running tells me that for some reason the ecu isnt communicating with vag-com. Was this an audi dealer or another shop using other diagnostic equipment because not all code reading equipment will work with these cars? If it was an Audi dealer then it could be a wiring problem or a problem with the ecm. I dont beleive you are dealing with a moisture issues unless somehow water has gotten in the ecu it is located under the plastic filler panel under the hood on the drivers side of the firewall you can check to see if the black box has gotten any water in it but its pretty unlikely. I have rebuilt two flood cars and looked at several others and have never seen water get into the ecm. But again if moisture has gotten into the passenger compartment it can lead to all sorts of problems so a quick check of both the interior control module and transmission control module boxes would be in your best interest to help start eliminating possibilities.

Your abs light is more than likely a seperate issue do some searching on here there is lots of reading on the abs control module issues.

Last edited by padog; 06-06-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by padog
Just so everyone is clear here the transmission control module is located under the passenger front carpeting the interior control module is located under the driver front carpeting and the ecu - engine control module is located under the hood on the drivers side firewall. These are all three very different components but all will effect each other if moisture has gotten in them.

Since the shop is telling you that the ecu is not communicating yet the car is running tells me that for some reason the ecu isnt communicating with vag-com. Was this an audi dealer or another shop using other diagnostic equipment because not all code reading equipment will work with these cars? If it was an Audi dealer then it could be a wiring problem or a problem with the ecm. I dont beleive you are dealing with a moisture issues unless somehow water has gotten in the ecu it is located under the plastic filler panel under the hood on the drivers side of the firewall you can check to see if the black box has gotten any water in it but its pretty unlikely. I have rebuilt two flood cars and looked at several others and have never seen water get into the ecm. But again if moisture has gotten into the passenger compartment it can lead to all sorts of problems so a quick check of both the interior control module and transmission control module boxes would be in your best interest to help start eliminating possibilities.

Your abs light is more than likely a seperate issue do some searching on here there is lots of reading on the abs control module issues.
i cant find the tcm. but i found the location of the ecu. if say, i have a problem with the ecu how much does a new one run around? what about the tcm? last time i spoke to an audi dealership they told me the tranny module is about 2k?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

My ECU was not communicating either. i checked my TCU under the passenger rug guess what i found, a puddle of water. i dry and clean it connected and now i have communication!
Now my code is P0600?? Any ideas guys.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ffcisco
My ECU was not communicating either. i checked my TCU under the passenger rug guess what i found, a puddle of water. i dry and clean it connected and now i have communication!
Now my code is P0600?? Any ideas guys.
I want to check the area out. Do i have to pull the carpet out? Or Is it on the carpets sidewall?