Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed cluster lights, new light coming on

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 01:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Fixed cluster lights, new light coming on

I have a 1997 A6 Avant I purchased about a year ago. When I bought the car the back light's for the temp, odometer gauge and shifter indicator did not light up. Well I finally got around to fixing them, this included taking out the cluster and a little soldering.

Everything is fixed but now I have a light coming on when I turn the key to the battery position that I have never seen before. It comes on in the Warning/Indicator lights Display and looks like two lights facing away from each other and is green. When I turn the car on this light shuts off completely.

I have looked through my A6 manual and I found a picture with the symbol but it doesn't say what the symbol means >.<. I was really happy earlier when I fixed this thing on my own because I found out from the dealer the circuit board for the Shift Indicator alone was $240...I spent $1.75 at radio shack for the micro bulbs lol.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 AM
2nd Gear

That symbol is the headlight indicator I do believe. There is the highbeam =D which is blue but the green one turns on whenever you have external lights activated. I think it comes on with the other indicator lights as a startup thing.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

Ill have to check and see if the green light comes on when the car is on and the lights aswell. The light was coming on with the key in the secondary position but I had not yet turned on the external lights.

Im sure it is just a start up light but im curious as to why I didn't notice this light until I fixed my other cluster lights. Maybe there was a connection in the back of my cluster that was never hooked up all the way and when I put everything back together I pluged it in all the way.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

Chingon,
I am seeing that same green symbol (2 lights facing away from each other) and located above the clock, between the "check engine MIL" & "seatbelt" lights. Of course the owners manual at pg 67 does not show this light (?)
My car just started running rough with poor power, and this mystery light is is blinking/solid!!
Crazy German engineering!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

Hi Phixer, Well I figured out what mine means. It ment that when I put my cluster back together I did it wrong haha. Turns out I had put the indicator light bulb that is supose to go into the MIL light into a slot that had no indicator light to begin with! So I still don't know what that light is for, but my car never used that indicator light to begin with so O well!