Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with valve cover gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Help with valve cover gasket leak

I had the valve cover gaskets replaced to fix a rather obnoxious leak. The replacement fix most of the leak but now it is leaking from the front driver's side corner. I had the mechanic redo it and it did not fix the problem. I know the 2.8L is notorious for valve cover leaks. Is the front corner typical for this problem. Is there a "trick" to remedy this? Is it possible the cover itself is slightly warped causing the leak?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

the corners of the gaskets are the most difficult places to get sealed properly. I believe that most of the write ups call for using RTV in the corners, in addition to the gasket itself

Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

Front drivers side is where the cam chain tensioners are located. These are common oil leak locations, adjacent to the valve cover gaskets & won't be fixed if the mechanic did valve cover gaskets only. A bit more of a task to replace the tensioner gasket & half moon seal, but if you were due for valve cover gaskets, I expect you are also due for tensioner gaskets. This site discusses how to diagnosis & replace the tensioner gaskets if you plan on fixing it yourself. Audi A6 Oil Leak - Audi A6 Oil Leaks - Audi A6 Oil Burning SmellNote that you'll need a special tool for relieving cam chain tension.