Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to me 2004 A6 Quattro 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM
1st Gear
Default new to me 2004 A6 Quattro 3.0

Well, I just bought a used 2004 A6 3.0 with about 108,000 for 6k on Wednesday and I love the car.... Its the full package with the moon roof, Bose Stereo, heated seats, and so on. However, I had a check engine light on and had it scan.. It was a cam sensor, which the dealer replaced. I also knew that the CV joints needed replaced. But I figured at that price, I could buy it and then replace them.

Today, I found an estimate from the previous owner in the Glove box today. It has a list of repairs needed. They are

1) Timing Belt and Associated Hardware: Parts = $1097 and Labor = $1035

2) Left Front Suspension lower forward control arm: Parts = $215 and Labor = $203

3) Left side engine Mount: Parts = $140 and labor = $174

4) Right Front outer CV boot: Parts = $65 and Labor = $319

5) Left Front outer CV boot: Parts = $65 and Labor = $319

6) 2 upper control arms and bushings: Parts = $390 and Labor = $870

That is a total of $5560 which is just a little less than what I paid for it.

I do not know if any of the repairs have been made. I am talking with the Dealer about working something out where I pay for the parts and his garage does the labor.

My questions are: 1) How do I tell if the timing belt has been replaced. I haven't had any issues with it running.
2) Which are the most important to fix?

3) Do these prices seem correct or do they seem that they are from an actual Audi Dealer. I found another estimate in the glove box that only lists the CV assemblies.

4) I love the car but part of me wonders if I should cancel the contract.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by McLeod13
Well, I just bought a used 2004 A6 3.0 with about 108,000 for 6k on Wednesday and I love the car.... Its the full package with the moon roof, Bose Stereo, heated seats, and so on. However, I had a check engine light on and had it scan.. It was a cam sensor, which the dealer replaced. I also knew that the CV joints needed replaced. But I figured at that price, I could buy it and then replace them.

Today, I found an estimate from the previous owner in the Glove box today. It has a list of repairs needed. They are

1) Timing Belt and Associated Hardware: Parts = $1097 and Labor = $1035

2) Left Front Suspension lower forward control arm: Parts = $215 and Labor = $203

3) Left side engine Mount: Parts = $140 and labor = $174

4) Right Front outer CV boot: Parts = $65 and Labor = $319

5) Left Front outer CV boot: Parts = $65 and Labor = $319

6) 2 upper control arms and bushings: Parts = $390 and Labor = $870

That is a total of $5560 which is just a little less than what I paid for it.

I do not know if any of the repairs have been made. I am talking with the Dealer about working something out where I pay for the parts and his garage does the labor.

My questions are: 1) How do I tell if the timing belt has been replaced. I haven't had any issues with it running.
2) Which are the most important to fix?

3) Do these prices seem correct or do they seem that they are from an actual Audi Dealer. I found another estimate in the glove box that only lists the CV assemblies.

4) I love the car but part of me wonders if I should cancel the contract.

Any suggestions?
Holy highway robbery. The timing belt quote is unreal. I didnt even bother to look at the other quotes. The parts and Labor for the job should be less than $1200.

No real way to tell if the belt has been changed. You can check visually and check for the belts freshness.

If you cannot tell without being 100% change the belt or you will be changing the engine soon. in the mean time dont take the car to high RPMS and drive easy.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

LMAO.. Thanks.. Although $1200 is still steep at the moment, it's a lot better. Hopefully I just have to buy the parts.

Is it safe to drive for a couple of more weeks? How can I tell how fresh the belt is. The quote said it was cracked and needed changed ASAP. This was in May that the estimate was written, however it has been at the dealership since then. I take it there are no symptoms whatsoever.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by McLeod13
LMAO.. Thanks.. Although $1200 is still steep at the moment, it's a lot better. Hopefully I just have to buy the parts.

Is it safe to drive for a couple of more weeks? How can I tell how fresh the belt is. The quote said it was cracked and needed changed ASAP. This was in May that the estimate was written, however it has been at the dealership since then. I take it there are no symptoms whatsoever.
You can check the belt for visually by checking the tension, looking for cracks, look and feel the teeth of the belt.
Another way is try and see of the belt has any type of writin on it. If it seems it has some writing it's probably the brand of the belt. And then check if it's Audi or some aftermarket belt.

Please note if all those things look and feel normal, it is not to be assumed the belt was changed.

And there are no symptoms of a worn belt until it either
A) jumps and ruins the timing. Car will throw a MIL and will run rough

B) belt breaks and you can't move