Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking brake noise on brand new A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by g2turbo7
If you tend to be a light "braker" it will burnish/glaze (make smooth) the rotors/pads and add to any squeaking which is cause by harmonics. And to a certain degree the brake pad type.
I just noticed this in your reply.
Really? I mean I don't intend to dispute what you're saying, since you listed your mech certification.
However, it's hard for me to fathom this "belief" because I've been a light braker all my life (ex: can see from afar a stop light changing, and just coast to it rather than...you all know what I'm talkig about...) and I don't remember having any brake noise problem, no matter the car.
On the 2000 Elantra the rear pads are still the original ones (100,400 miles) and never, ever had any noise problems...
I've always known that light braking allows the rotor to "wear" EVENLY, and so the pads... versus sudden braking, when the temp increases exponentially with the force of the friction, rezulting in a "hottest spot" when stopped that has more chances of deforming the rotor/s.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

i have a 2011 a4 and i have the same problem i thought it happen when i changed out the rims but now i know its the brakes

Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

Brand new here....

Used (CPO) S4 cab (4.2V8), with 50k on. Supposedly brand new brakes etc... same slow speed squeal - you're right - embarrassing is the word...detracts somewhat from what is otherwise enormously good fun.

Dealer has it right now and saying the same thing - "they do that". Offering to take the coating off etc... but I guess from what I'm hearing it'll come right back...

A bit disappointing when I pretty much can't fault the car otherwise... (assuming they figure out how to unlock the nav DVD so I can put a CD in and make the SAT radio work...)

Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear

It could be due to ceramic pads or chatter because the pads are vibrating. Usually they are installed with some kind of gunk on the back to reduce the vibration. Otherwise, turn up your radio and have fun with your new ride.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear

I replaced the OEM rotors and pads with cross drilled and slotted rotors from ECS with EBC red stuff pads. I had a squeaking sounds for about 1 week to work in the new stuff and "shape" it properly. Once the brake-in phase was completed squeaking was gone and my lady brakes like a champ now (no matter if it is wet or going down a steep hill).

Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
I replaced the OEM rotors and pads with cross drilled and slotted rotors from ECS with EBC red stuff pads. I had a squeaking sounds for about 1 week to work in the new stuff and "shape" it properly. Once the brake-in phase was completed squeaking was gone and my lady brakes like a champ now (no matter if it is wet or going down a steep hill).
Neat...

Out of interest - what did the ECS/EBC combo run?

Also, noting your sig, I've used K&N filters before - do they make a difference on the 4.2V8?

Thanks?

Simon

Old 02-10-2012, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by symes
Neat...

Out of interest - what did the ECS/EBC combo run?

Also, noting your sig, I've used K&N filters before - do they make a difference on the 4.2V8?

Thanks?

Simon
The Complete setup was around 400 something. Not cheap but I think it was worth it.

In regards to the K&N filter: I don't think they really made a big difference however it costs less to maintain. I don't have to buy filters all the time. All I do is take the filter out every 3-6 months, wash it and use the recharge kit. Some say it's bad for the MAF since the excessive oil from the recharge kit sticks to the MAF and damages it. So far I have put around 40k on the MAF with the Filter and not had 1 issue. I do however always clean the MAF with MAF cleaner every time I clean the filter too.