Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Hose Replacement on Vacuum System

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:11 PM
1st Gear
Question Updated!:Total Hose Replacement on Vacuum System "and Purge Valve Problems"

I am about (to attempt) to replace all of the vacuum hoses in my system.
I have a 98 A6 w a 2.8, I've heard that the hoses go bad on these pretty commonly.

My check engine light came on and it said that my vacuum/fuel pressure system was low. Also when I fill up with gas it seems like it takes a couple of minutes to fill the system back up with pressure, because it takes 10 sec. of cranking before it will start and after that I have to hold my foot on the gas for about 1 1/2 min or it will die.

Is there any one that has done it before that can give me some tips on what to look out for? Or maybe its not the problem? kind of concerned about the fuel filling issue... Appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Last edited by danmcc86; 02-27-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Sometimes, the vacuum leak will make a hissing noise. There is a small hand powered vacuum pump with a gauge for testing for vacuum leaks sold at many auto stores.
Also, replace only one hose at a time, so you don't make any mistakes.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM
2nd Gear

Is it just the hoses that usually go bad? or are the clamps to blame sometimes too?

I want to do the same thing. Does anyone sell a kit? How tedious is this job?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:24 AM
3rd Gear

Vacuum hoses are just pressure fitted. No hose clamps... There is a vacuum diagram on the underside of hood on most cars.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:56 AM
2nd Gear

Oh ok, thanks. Not sure if mine still has the diagram, I don't remember ever seeing it. Does anyone have one on the forums?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
3rd Gear

You don't need a a kit or diagram to replace Vac hoses.

I usually get a roll of hose from the auto parts store and do one at a time.

When I am almost done I get a beer to reward myself and then two more when done.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

haha...great suggestion NH USA! Well today I took off the engine cover and looked at the hoses and...wow! those things are bad...the fiber covering kind of falls off and the hoses themselves are very brittle.

Has anyone had that low pressure problem after filling up? I'll know more after I change the hoses but guess I just wanted to know if there was anything else I might be able to do to help it...Any suggestions?

Old 02-08-2009, 03:31 PM
3rd Gear

So you liked the beer instrucrtions!!!

You might get the low vaccum fuel pressuse system light if the cap isn't on tight.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

haha...yeah, I checked the fuel cap and its tight...and it actually makes the car not run right after i get gas... i dont know...kinda frustrating. Thanks though!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

Ok. update. I just got done replacing all the vacuum hoses (except the hose right between the pump on the front of the engine to the thin plastic side hose[see pic]). My CEL is still on! any suggestions? any sensors that might be out? im lost

Attached Thumbnails Total Hose Replacement on Vacuum System-vac-hose.jpg  

Quick Reply: Total Hose Replacement on Vacuum System