Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid change DIY ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission fluid change DIY ?

I have a 97 quattro wagon.. I would like to change the tranny fluid... should I attempt it myself? I just did all 4 disc brakes myself with new rotors.. and I changed the oil and filter.. thanks Dwight in Connecticut

Old 07-18-2009, 03:53 PM
3rd Gear

When it comes to Audi, there are some considerations regarding the transmission fluid. Based on the Maintenance Schedules, some models are not "required" to have it replaced - based on the "lifetime fluid" claim, while the newer models have it listed at different intervals: 65,000; 85,000; 105,000.

With that said, on this forum are at least three schools of thought regarding the Audi ATF change:
- Changing it just like in any other car to the 45,000 miles mark (if not every 36,000) prolongs the livelihood of a transmission with no problems for car's life span - approach.
- It is "lifetime" fluid; don't even consider messing with a "sealed" transmission, especially if the owner has no clue what they're doing or are mechanically tabula rasa - approach.
- It is "lifetime" fluid, I would love to change it, but I'll take it to the dealership - approach.

Since you are mechanically inclined (obviously), you can make your own considerations and draw your own conclusions. Moreover, quite a few second/third owners report from time to time transmission-related problems right after they buy an A6 (the reason they join the forum), which it may be a sign that original owners/some people disregard totally the importance of the ATF and its role in keeping the transmission in perfect functioning order.

Anyway, the topic has been covered in the past at least once, that's why I say you should get yourself informed and come to your own conclusion before attempting to replace the fluid.
There are quite a few DIYs and discussions around (audiworld.com; here; Blaufernungen.com) that could help you decide what you want to do.

Quite a few people with high mileage cars replaced it (including myself) and reported afterward improved shifting with no problems, more than the other way around.

Good luck, Dwight.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 PM
4th Gear

Do it...

Old 07-19-2009, 08:01 AM
2nd Gear

Order a kit from blauparts.com but also order an extra 3 or 4 liters of Pentosin fluid. They don't send enough fluid with there kits for some stupid reason. Also save and measure everything you take out carefully. This way you are sure to put at least that much back in.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:11 AM

For the kit: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....%2D01&cat=2253
You should also order at least one more liter of ATF.
Since you have the Quattro, you need to also check the front, center and rear differential fluid levels. So, you will need the BentleyPublishers.com Audi shop manual CD.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by virtualelvis
I have a 97 quattro wagon.. I would like to change the tranny fluid... should I attempt it myself? I just did all 4 disc brakes myself with new rotors.. and I changed the oil and filter.. thanks Dwight in Connecticut
From everyone I've talked to it's as easy as any other trannie..just use full synthetic fluid and do the same with all components including brake fluid..the brake fluid is harder to find but worth it. On the engine oil, you can go at min twice as long between changes..just change the filter every 3k..I've done this on a 87 Merc TDwagon and it's now at 291k. I sent a sample of my oil several years ago that actually had 12k miles on it in for analysis and it showed no signs of lubracation breakdown whatsoever and no it's not the expensive stuff but the cheap full syn--the cheap stuff prolly from the same refinery though It's possible Audi uses a trannie cooler which IMO would make the synthetic lifetime juice..it takes very extreme temps to break it down and most normal cars never even get close.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

thanks everyone... the tranny shop down the road said they have done it before.. Dwight $70

Old 07-20-2009, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

$70 is not bad the dealer wanted $330 and a local shop wanted over $100.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by copper07
$70 is not bad the dealer wanted $330 and a local shop wanted over $100.
hmmmm...exactly what fluid did he put in for $70 including filter and gasket?? and did he flush the torque converter, something isn't right IMO.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
3rd Gear

Proper fluid alone should cost you about $60. Filter kit is about $30. I wouldn't really trust a $70 tranny fluid change.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change DIY ?