B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Tierod rant...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
Angry Tierod rant...

So when I had my coils put on they did an alignment. They said they couldn't align the FP side tierod due to it's "Just Spinning". Luckly I had one in the trunk but they said $60 to put it on... F that! So tonight I pull it in the shop and my father in law was still there swap a motor so he said he would do it! I said ok and took his car to buy Wendys. I came back and he wasn't done and I was like WTF? So he says the damn thing wont move. I get under and sure enough nothing... Pure brut force did nadda, so we bust out the torch... nadda. Sooo we then bust out both torches at full blast and NOTHING SOB wont F'ing move So next thought was F' it well just pull the inner tierod and replace that also! I call everywhere and due to sunday either closed or no one has a inner tierod so now it's sitting in the shop waiting to go to a shop in the morning... end rant. Pics attached to show whats not moving from inner/outter

Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Slut

That sucks. I've never had one be that stuck. Did you say your bringing it to another shop? If not just make sure you set the nut in a similar spot as that one to make the alignment process easier. GL

Old 03-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

It was unable to be aligned do to it can't be moved to adjust it! And yeah I'm taking it to a shop in the morning. The "shop" I took it to tonight is my Father in laws body shop but he does other work for us there!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:22 PM
5th Gear

haha that sucks. wasn't there another guy on here a few months ago that couldn't get it out? then he put a foot long pipe on the end of a wrench and was able to get it off.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hiwords
haha that sucks. wasn't there another guy on here a few months ago that couldn't get it out? then he put a foot long pipe on the end of a wrench and was able to get it off.
We tried big betsy! She was as useful as FWD Adui!
I hope they will be able to get it off it's that or replace the whole set up!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:24 PM
5th Gear

hmm you need one of our local guys. he's been the one that's gotten loose all of our PITA bolts. (Jeremy Clarkson voice) some say, he's so good at it because of years of "experience"

Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 PM
3rd Gear

^I just read a text about said experience........

OP....which would you have rather dealt with, the TRE or the dreaded PinchBolt?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:44 PM
3rd Gear

It is a well-known fact older A4 tie-rods suck to adjust. In the New England area, you'll see some pretty stuck. Usually the torch does it, but if it's that bad, I usually recommend a replacement anyway. Word of advice: Do both sides.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Yep, what an unholy mother-F-er my passenger side TRE was. What did it was brute force and fire as the OP said. We actually rounded out the inside of an 18mm wrench (and broke another one, nearly destroyed a set of vise grips, and blew out a ratchet).

Our technique - turn the jam nut all the way CCW until it's tight against the TRE outer section. Then use two pairs of big, beefy vise grips, and clamp onto the threaded section of the TRE with one and the receiver (where it threads in) with the other. Clamp them so tight that you need channelocks to clamp the pliers. Soak the threads with Kroil and tip the TRE up so it wicks into the threads inside. Then put a combined 500lbs or so of force on the vise grips. I weigh 245 and my buddy is 230. We were almost off the ground from putting all the force we could into it. After three hours of trying other stuff and forcing this way so hard we were seeing stars, it gave and we got it out. By far the toughest torque any of the three of us has ever had to break free in our combined 50+ years of working on cars.

It can be done but you're definitely gonna earn it. God what a bastard that was.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator

And by comparison the pinchbolt was a joke - that damn TRE was so bad I almost put it back and took it to a shop, which I never do, but I was seriously weighing my options at that point.

Quick Reply: Tierod rant...