B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My very own update thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Car looks great! Very clean, but get that fish bowl tinted! lol. Also, how are the wheels holding up? I decided to rattle can my rims but I sanded filed and primed mine and they are holding up crazy well. How about yours?

Did you use the PlastiDip on your side mirrors too? How is that holding up?

Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by xxNeverG1veUpxx
Car looks great! Very clean, but get that fish bowl tinted! lol. Also, how are the wheels holding up? I decided to rattle can my rims but I sanded filed and primed mine and they are holding up crazy well. How about yours?

Did you use the PlastiDip on your side mirrors too? How is that holding up?
Haha thanks, yeah tints been on the list for a long time.

Wheels are 9/10 right now. I started to get a little peeling on one wheel due to being a little reckless while cleaning.

The mirrors are fine except for a scuff I got the first week. Unfortunately you can't "touch up" the plasti dip so I'll have to respray that mirror when I get the motivation.

I've been weighing spraying the wheel barrels as well. Right now you can see the contrast between the wheel face and barrels and it kind of irks me.

Tonight I got the tranny mounts installed and switched to Redline 5w40 from 10w30.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
Haha thanks, yeah tints been on the list for a long time.

Wheels are 9/10 right now. I started to get a little peeling on one wheel due to being a little reckless while cleaning.

The mirrors are fine except for a scuff I got the first week. Unfortunately you can't "touch up" the plasti dip so I'll have to respray that mirror when I get the motivation.

I've been weighing spraying the wheel barrels as well. Right now you can see the contrast between the wheel face and barrels and it kind of irks me.

Tonight I got the tranny mounts installed and switched to Redline 5w40 from 10w30.
Yeah I hate how Audi 1/2 blended the plastic black with the paint color. I've been wanted to make my side mirrors all black for quite some time. Good to hear. And Redline is the #1 as far as gear oil I have heard.

I love everything on your car. I could only find an Audi A4 with the stupid tan color. Super envious. Keep it coming when you have money! I love watching this thread!

Old 10-27-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by xxNeverG1veUpxx
Yeah I hate how Audi 1/2 blended the plastic black with the paint color. I've been wanted to make my side mirrors all black for quite some time. Good to hear. And Redline is the #1 as far as gear oil I have heard.

I love everything on your car. I could only find an Audi A4 with the stupid tan color. Super envious. Keep it coming when you have money! I love watching this thread!
Thanks for the support and kind words, it's been a long journey.

I'm finishing up my last year at uni and then I should be back in the work force. (Or I could just get a masters, we'll see.)

Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Administrator

How tough were the trans mounts? I think I'm going to be picking up a full mount package from Mr. Hood over the winter to be installed in the spring. Not having a garage sucks

Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by CCA4
How tough were the trans mounts? I think I'm going to be picking up a full mount package from Mr. Hood over the winter to be installed in the spring. Not having a garage sucks
easy as ****. even without a garage. If needed you may be abe to run up here (1 hour) away and get them done. We have a fully air powered garage I dont forsee it taking more than 2-3 hours

Old 10-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Yeah, they were pretty easy. Very straightforward, remove and replace.

The passenger side mount is a bit more difficult than the drivers because of a pesky heatshield that needs to either be removed or pried out of the way, I chose the crowbar method.

It seems to have reduced some of the shake at idle. Theres a definite improvement in 5th gear on off situations.

Worth the $100 I'd say.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 PM

In the coming weeks/months much more will be happening to the car! Since my last post I changed the fuel filter, but parts are on the way.

I just washed and waxed it, so here are some pictures!

Name:  file-39.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  176.1 KB

Name:  file-40.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  164.2 KB

Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 PM

Name:  file-39.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  204.7 KB

Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM

Picked up a washer stalk from a 98. My 97 only has one intermittent wiper speed. Hopefully this is just a direct swap, we'll find out! Not much info online about doing this swap so I may make a DIY out of it.

Name:  file-41.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  124.3 KB

I'll also be writing a detailed DIY for using a flip key with a 97 after I pick up the proper CLP.

More updates to come!

Quick Reply: My very own update thread