B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New A4 avant quattro 2.8 owner few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:38 AM
1st Gear
Default New A4 avant quattro 2.8 owner few questions

Greetings Everyone,
I am a new owner of a 1999 a4 avant quattro with the 2.8 v6 engine.
Has 69,000 miles. I am a 20 plus year vw owner and can build engines/trans and do just about anything on the A1-A3 cars.
But this car is obviously new to me so i will have a learning curve.
Since I have NO history of service on this car I am going to assume there was non. First item on the list is timing belt/all belts water pump and it seems to have an oil leak that i can smell burning a little after driving. Figure once i get the plastic off i can see where that is.
So my question is other than the speciality tools that blau parts rent with their timing belt kit do i need any other specialty tools? I have tons of tools but
do not have torx metric tool for i never need them on older cars.
Anyone have a list of tools needed to do this job?
Also i would like to service all of the fluids ie: brake,auto trans, final drive and engine oil.
Any suggestions on type? both brand and viscosity? Again just a learning curve. Anything else I should service before I feel the car is ready for daily driving?
Thanks so much,
Jesse

Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

Hi Jesse, and welcome to the forum.

The first thing you should do is read the FAQ and newbie threads that are stickied. The second thing to do is learn how to use the search function on this forum. Some of the members here get a little cranky if new people keep asking the same old questions that are easily obtainable by searching.

I would also invest in a Bentley service manual, either in book form or CD-ROM form. This should be your first purchase before doing anything else.

Ok, with that out of the way, let's go on to your questions...

The burning oil smell can be caused by leaking in all sorts of places. The most common areas of leakage in the 2.8 are the valve covers, cam chain tensioner gasket and half moon vally seal that sits directly below the tensioner gasket. This is definitely a DIY job, but you'll need the special compression tool to compress the cam chain so that you can lift up the tensioner to remove the old gaskets and install the new ones. This tool can usually be found for cheap on ebay, or you can purchase it new.

To see this tool in action, look at the 4th pic down here.

Keep in mind that this leakage could be caused by pressure buildup in your crankcase breather system, which is a series of plastic hoses that connect to the intake ports on the engine. If you inspect these hoses and find them caked with gunk, then I would replace the CCB system before you move onto replacing the leaking gaskets. You have to eliminate the pressure from the system or else it'll continue to leak with the new gaskets.

The auto tranny fluid and filter change is a great idea. I just did this myself to my car, and it made it so smooth again. I recommend this kit from Blauparts. Be very, VERY careful when unbolting the T25 hex bolts from the transmission pan. The heads strip out very easily, so make sure the tool is completely inside the bolt before trying to turn.

Here's a good DIY for the transmission fluid & filter change. Notice, that you're probably going to have to search around a little bit to find a 17mm hex socket. I ordered mine online.

I haven't actually tackled a timing belt job yet myself, so I don't have much advice on this, except to say that most everyone here changes the tensioners, rollers & thermostat in addition to the timing belt and water pump.

Here's a good kit from Blauparts.

Here's the rental tool kit.

For brake fluid, as long as it's DOT 4, then you're good. I don't have a brand preference.

I do have an engine oil preference, but everyone and their uncle does, too. I use Mobil One 0w40 because I live in the frozen tundra of Minnesota.

Good luck, and happy repairing.

Last edited by jdahlen24; 07-25-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your great input. Being well schooled in working on vw's bentley is on the way.
Looks like if i am reading it correctly I will need software/cable to do the transmission fluid. I don't have money for that at the moment so it will have to wait.
Check on the timing belt kit along with tools. I was going to order from blau parts so no issues there.
I DO believe my valve cover gaskets are leaking but will know more tonight once i make my initial engine plastic remove to see what I am dealing with.
As far as searching I am familiar with all that goes along with these message boards since i have been part of vwvortex for many years. Appreciate the heads up. I DID do a search but could not find any listings for tools needed for timing best/water pump other than the speciality tools. But in my tool box I do not have any torx drivers. I never need them on vw's so looks like i need to order a set for the audi.
Appreciate the time and write up. I suspect until i get the car up to my standards from a mechanical stand point I will be a regular face in here.
Thanks so much,
Jess

Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Administrator

You can pick up a torx set at AutoZone for less than $20 that includes a bunch of bits from T10 to T60 - got mine there and it has served me well.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

thanks ImtheDevil. Will do!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

I just did my Timing belt on my 99.5 2.8 AHA 2 days ago.. I bought JHMotorsports TB video ($30, worth every penny) for the 2.7t (applies to the 2.8, except for a few things which I'll go over later.)

The main tools necessary for the TB job are:
T15,T30,T45 bits (just get a good set of Torx bits & you'll be set)
Set of Metric Allen keys (5,6,8,&10MM longer the better, you'll need the leverage for some bolts)
5MM & 6MM allen sockets (3/8" preferably)
24MM 12pt socket (1/2", for turning the engine over)
Set of Metric sockets which you probably already have
White-out or something similar to mark the cams and crank pulleys.
Torque wrench
Large adjustable wrench to unscrew the fan (it comes off clockwise)
vice grips (easier to pull the coolant hoses off from the engine IMO than from the radiator, mine were on there pretty solid.)
Gallon of G12 and gallon of distilled water.
I'm pretty sure that's all I needed..

They sell & rent camshaft lock bars and crankshaft lock pins, I almost got one but I ended up just doing the job without it. With all of your experience you should be just fine. I'm pretty new at this type of work but it turned out well.

The only difference I remember from the DVD as far as 2.7t to 2.8 is I didn't have to unbolt the powersteering pump to get the water pump out and the oil dipstick is on the left side of the engine instead of the right so it isn't in the way. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

sweet thanks IanWPB! I have all tools minus the torx. i will pick them up.
really appreciate the input. would not wan to sell the dvd now that you do not need it would you
just ordered the bentley since i did not have it for this car. now i think i will have like 20 bentleys!
thanks everyone for your time and help,
jess