B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 B7 Cruise Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 B7 Cruise Control Issue

Hi, all new to the forum. Just wanted to give a little background about myself. I just recently sold my Infiniti G35 Coupe wanting to get something with a little more space. I recently purchased an Audi A4 2006 6 MT with 61k miles immaculate condition. However there is one small problem. The cruise control does not work.

I have read threads on this subject on the AudiWorld, and AudiForums, and was hoping someone could give me an idea that I may have overlooked.. or confirm my diagnosis.

At first I thought it could be a clutch sensor. But I notice I cannot start the car without depressing the clutch. I also do not get any weird revs. The cruise control light does not come on when I attempt to activate it. And just to make sure I get the procedure right, I pull it back toward the steering wheel and press the button to set it at speed. Nothing happens, no cruise icon light on the dash, nothing. So I assume it is a problem with the stalk? Maybe lose connections? Or is there another module I need to take a look at? I am savy with electronics, however, I dont like to take things apart without knowing generally what is going on. Can anyone provide any input?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 AM
1st Gear

New thought, maybe it could be the stalk?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

when you pull the stalk and push the button make sure you push the button with a bit of force or just push it twice. sometimes i find it "ignores" light pushes of the button and doesn't cruise until you push it "assertively".

Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

there are 2 clutch switch, 1 that says the clutch is in, and 1 that says the clutch is fully out, so just because u cannot start ur car with the clutch out, doesnt mean u dont have a bad clutch switch.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
when you pull the stalk and push the button make sure you push the button with a bit of force or just push it twice. sometimes i find it "ignores" light pushes of the button and doesn't cruise until you push it "assertively".
I tried doing what you said recently, and pushed with at least 3-5 pounds of pressure at that one spot. Nada.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by makav3li
there are 2 clutch switch, 1 that says the clutch is in, and 1 that says the clutch is fully out, so just because u cannot start ur car with the clutch out, doesnt mean u dont have a bad clutch switch.
Hmm... so two clutch sensors... So basically the depressed sensor could be working, however the "out" sensor may not be. Interesting theory. Now can the cruise control "On" light come on without actually setting it? I had a car that did that, but until you engaged it, the function doesnt work. If thats the case, with this car, then at least I can isolate it to the actually ****.

Another question for you guys is, are all of the cruise controls electronics isolated to the stock? I'm thinking oxidized connections and the like...

Is there was a way to do a positive test electronically, or otherwise to ensure the switch was sending the signal?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by makav3li
Hmm... so two clutch sensors... So basically the depressed sensor could be working, however the "out" sensor may not be. Interesting theory. Now can the cruise control "On" light come on without actually setting it? I had a car that did that, but until you engaged it, the function doesnt work. If thats the case, with this car, then at least I can isolate it to the actual ****.

Another question for you guys is, are all of the cruise controls electronics isolated to the stock? I'm thinking oxidized connections and the like...

Is there was a way to do a positive test electronically, or otherwise to ensure the switch was sending the signal?

Last edited by AudiJarhead; 08-10-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by AudiJarhead
Hmm... so two clutch sensors... So basically the depressed sensor could be working, however the "out" sensor may not be. Interesting theory. Now can the cruise control "On" light come on without actually setting it? I had a car that did that, but until you engaged it, the function doesnt work. If thats the case, with this car, then at least I can isolate it to the actual ****.
On mine, the light doesn't come on until you set it. I leave it "On" all the time, but I only see the light when I push the button on the end of the stalk to set the speed.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Cruise control switch question

Have any of you ever have the dealer turn off your cruise control by accident? As in disable it? I am wondering since not all A4 B7s are equipped as such...