B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Just got my APR Stage 1 Chip! 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by fluid
I just had the Stage 1 installed yesterday. Initial observation is it seems to drive smoother as far as acceleration, and a bit more pick up. It's not a huge jump in speed but I didn't expect that, and for < $700 I'd say it was worth it. I drive in 91 mode since we only get 91 octane across AZ (mostly). I really like the more linear response but my biggest problem is the design of my car - it's a FWD @%$#!#$ !!! I really like my A4 and don't regret buying mine since I felt the deal was good but sure wish it was a Quattro (never been a fwd fan). My car is vanilla but I like it. Good upgrade
I originally thought stage 1 was ok as well but stage 2 is where I really smiled. Well worth the few bucks for an Ebay test pipe as the stage 2 program is free. Feels like adding stage 1 all over again.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 2wdBlazer
I originally thought stage 1 was ok as well but stage 2 is where I really smiled. Well worth the few bucks for an Ebay test pipe as the stage 2 program is free. Feels like adding stage 1 all over again.
Thanks for the input. The place I had mine done said the Stage 2 would be ~ $500-600 out the door - how muc is an Ebay test pipe? Is that all that's needed? I'd welcome more power (who wouldn't?) but due to fwd, I hope it doesn't magnify torque steer to the point it's unbearable.

One last question - sound, does the test pipe alter it at all? I'm probably in the minority and don't like to create any unnatural aggressive sound in a 4-cylinder car.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by fluid
Thanks for the input. The place I had mine done said the Stage 2 would be ~ $500-600 out the door - how muc is an Ebay test pipe? Is that all that's needed? I'd welcome more power (who wouldn't?) but due to fwd, I hope it doesn't magnify torque steer to the point it's unbearable.

One last question - sound, does the test pipe alter it at all? I'm probably in the minority and don't like to create any unnatural aggressive sound in a 4-cylinder car.
$60 bucks. Our exhaust is still super quiet with it installed. You would have to change the muffler to make it loud or aggressive.

It will make your car fell like a faster factory version, it will feel just right. You can always get a REVO or APR trial for free which lasts only a few hours or so. Stage 2 is nice.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Old 04-20-2011, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

Im scheduled to get the APR stage 1 ECU next week...but I have been reading some threads here and I am looking into jumping right to stage 2 which only requires the test pipe. APR says stage 2 ecu with test pipe is 15-20 hp more than just stage 1 ecu(apr salesmen told me on the phone today).

However, when I have to get my car inspected how difficult/expensive will it be to make the adjustments to my stage 2 in order to pass inspection?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear

It will only pass if your cat is installed.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

I talked to an audi tech and the shop that is doing my chip and testpipe - they both say it will pass in New Jersey since they only do an OBD2 emissions test - so as long as the CEL is off, ill be good to go.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eMacPaul
They claim their chips will improve your MPG, but I guess that's if you drive pretty conservatively. I didn't notice any significant change.
I got the GIAC under the last promo with the 3 pgms and lock out, plus hand controller all for base price. i did note that with that and an 034 hipass cat i get about .8liters/100kms better milage now on highway drives and about .3liters/100kms less in city but love the added torque and power. with the 6sp it really rocks. really never need to go much past 4500 rpm now....

Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by fordyoz
Im scheduled to get the APR stage 1 ECU next week...but I have been reading some threads here and I am looking into jumping right to stage 2 which only requires the test pipe. APR says stage 2 ecu with test pipe is 15-20 hp more than just stage 1 ecu(apr salesmen told me on the phone today).

However, when I have to get my car inspected how difficult/expensive will it be to make the adjustments to my stage 2 in order to pass inspection?
you can use a 034 3" hiflow cat and still pass but go to stage 2. higher cost but maybe some cheaper ones out there, i prefer good quality and did not have time to shop around....

Old 04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

is whats the difference in noise level between an HFC and a test pipe?

Old 05-01-2011, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear

Not alot. On stock exhaust you will not be much louder at all. We have super quiet mufflers.

Post up how chip went.

Quick Reply: Just got my APR Stage 1 Chip! 2.0T