Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

MMI 3G AMI retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:21 PM
1st Gear
Default MMI 3G AMI retrofit

I've just installed the MMI 3G AMI retrofit kit from Kufatec in my B8 A4, and because the installation manual is quite poor, i thought I'd post a few words that could be helpful for others that want to install the kit.

The kit consists of 2 cables and a "dongle". One of the cables is installed between the head unit and the glove box. You will have to make a hole in the glove box for it, so that only the connector is visible from inside the glove box. The other cable is connected between this connector and an iPod or an USB stick or hard drive. When you order the AMI kit, you can choose between iPod or USB cable. The "dongle" is connected to the OBD connector after installation and will enable the AMI in your MMI menu.

There are two more things you should get:
You need a set of radio removal tools to be able to remove the head unit and the CD changer. You can buy these or maybe borrow some at your local car audio store. Beware that some of these tools are to thick to slide into the slots on the MMI 3g.
You should also get the small shelf to securely store the iPod inside the glove box. You can buy this from Kufatec, but it is a Audi part and it is probably cheaper at you dealer, since Kufatec did bother to remove the part number on the one I bought from them. You can get this at a later time, it snaps in place in 4 slots, and disassembly of the glove box is not required.

To install the AMI kit, you need to remove the Head unit and the glove box. To be able to remove the glove box, you have to remove the CD changer first.
The Kufatec installation manual indicates that 6 bolts holds the glove box in place. This guide tells that there is one more, behind the CD Changer. My car had even one more bolt (8 in all), there are two very close to each other on the left side inside the box.
The optical wire connected to the head unit is to short and has to be disconnected before you pull the unit all the way out. I chose to remove the HVAC panel below the head unit, so that I could get my hand in and remove the wire. Take a look at this guide. The optical connector is all the way to the left on the head unit viewed from the front. I noticed that you can get to the optical wiring from the side when the glove box is removed. it should be possible to loosen it so that you can get the head unit out without disconnecting it.

Both wires in the AMI wire loom should be connected to the head unit. The manual can easily be misunderstood on this point and I spent some time looking for the "quadlock connector" elsewhere.
The manual says you should cut a 4.05 by 2 cm hole in the glove box. This is not correct, the hole should be approximately 4.6 by 2.3 cm.

The manual describes how to enable the AMI in the MMI user interface. At one point you should select "[AUX/no AMI BT/AMI] 7/8". This is not correct. The text in the brackets is incorrect but the number (7) is correct.
After selecting this, the MMI reset, and everything was complete. I did not have to do a MMI reset as described in the manual.

Regards,
Jone Tytlandsvik
Norway

Last edited by jonet; 09-28-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

Nice
Regards Brian