S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Limp Mode

So...after completing my big project of the timing belt that turning into about 12 things, I got the car running again.

The car would run great for between 1 - 20 mins before hitting Limp mode and restricting boost to 6 psi. Immediately, I thoughtboost leak, so I tightened all of the hoses thinking I had not hooked them back up properly. Afterwards, still no change.

So, I considered everything I did to the car and realized that the only thing that I installed that would affect the limp mode would be putting in a new MAF and plugging it in. That way it wouldn't be running off the MAP. So, I tried unplugging the new MAF and of course, no boost problems. Assuming that the new MAF is NOT bad, I wondered what else would affect the car running in non-MAP mode.

So, we ran the VAG and got codes (I am having the actual codes emailed to me so I can post them later) for both the MAF and the o2 sensors. I will assume that the MAF code was from the old MAF. That would leave something wrong with the o2 sensors. My assumption is that when I plug in the MAF, it starts trying to run in standard (not MAP - not sure what that is called) mode. Then, it realizes the o2 is bad and goes intoLimp mode.Would anyone concur with this assumption?

And if so, how difficult is theo2 replacement?Also, Ihave moved and no longer have access to the garage I was using for the timing belt change.Can anyone tell me what they have paid to have a shop replace the o2?

Also,I haven'tofficially checked, but it seems my gas mileage is pretty poor - around 15 mpg or so would be my guess. How much would having the car run in standard mode as opposed to using the MAPhelp with gas mileage and power? I'm wonder how important it would be to get the car running in standard mode?Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks,

Jason

Old 08-03-2007, 05:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Limp Mode

Asuuming it does end up being the O2 sensor problem it sounds like you are looking at the Upper(front) o2 sensors, because i know form personal experience (right now) that have both rear ones blown doesnt send the car into limp mode. I got old school apr 91oct chip.
However i owuld still look into the MAF problem, usually any type of MAF issue send the car Instantly into limp mode. I.E. i had a nice slit in my hose near the MAF and it was throwing my intakes off terribly and ketp the car in limp mode. $12 fix but was soo annoying.