B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Getting ESP, ABS, and flashing brake light error after HID install

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

Oh and the blinking brake light... I had that awhile ago I just topped off my brake fluid... but clear up the HID issue before you add any... it might just be a voltage fault in the system.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 PM

I installed my HID last weekend on my B6 and encountered the ESP and ABS problem same as mentioned earlier whenever I turned ON my headlights. The simple fix I did was to connect the case of the HID ballast to Chassis GND. Seems like the Ballast is emitting an ElectroMagnetic Interference (EMI noise)that affect the Electronics circuitry of the ABS module. By Grounding the case of the HID Ballast you are creating a Ground Shield. I did it on the driver side only as it is the nearest to the ABS module (less than foot). I can take a picture and pos it later if anyone interested.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 PM
4th Gear

do it!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:26 AM

its been 2-weeks now and no problem so far. Here's the Ground connection I did. Getting ESP, ABS, and flashing brake light error after HID install-hid-setup.jpg

Getting ESP, ABS, and flashing brake light error after HID install-ground-connection.jpg

Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 AM
1st Gear
Default ABS and Brake Warning Lights.

I have the same problem and I am trying to find out the exact cause. It appears that it is related to the HID headlights that we have installed a few months ago.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
4th Gear

newmdk Just read up above. Ur answers are there. Either reloacte the hid ballast or ground out to frame.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:20 AM
1st Gear

Guess what. I took my A4 to 2 shops and they both told me that ABS module is about to go bad. Thus, they both told me that HID headlights are not the cause of the warning lights.

I really need to get to the bottom of this. I still see ABS, and blinking brake warning lights........

Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 PM
4th Gear

did that start after u installed the hids. These guys are probably trying to scam u. Its a very common problem with aftermarket hids kits being located to close to the abs module thus creating interfernce which triggers the abs light.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

Actually, these warning light issues came about several months after the HID install. After double checking, a proper grounding of the HID ballast did take place. Thus, the 2 shops may be correct. The ABS module could indeed be bad.

My real concern is that the ABS and Brake warning lights come on only some times. Most of the time, they just go away. But they return when I use the power windows, or the radio, or the HID lamps at night etc.

If the ABS module has gone kaput, then I guess the warning lights will stay on. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks, Paul.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:58 AM

I just installed an HID kit in my 03 A4 1.8T last night. At first I used the relay harness so that I could have ignition power from the battery to the lights. When I turned on the car and lights, I got a "Left/Right Headlight Dipped" indicator. Luckily I ordered the cancelers. So to use the cancelers, you must remove the relay harness and connect the cancelers between the bulb and the ballast. It did the trick as far as taking away the "Dipped Headlight" code. But now my ESP light is on and will not turn off. Does anyone know of a way to use the relay harness and the cacelers together? The HID kit is the only electircal mod I have made to my car. Any insight would be great.

Quick Reply: Getting ESP, ABS, and flashing brake light error after HID install