1993 Audi 100s: Two problems, one needs immediate attention

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Default 1993 Audi 100s: Two problems, one needs immediate attention

First hello, I am a member of the Michigan Volkswagen Enthusiasts (MIVE). I drive a 1984 vw scirocco that is mostly a track toy. The family car is my wife's audi 100s. We just made the 1700 mile drive from Michigan to El Paso, TX. All told the drive went well but the audi presented with a few problems, one now has gotten quite bad. First we noticed that virtually every time the car breaks 70 mph the front end feels like it's going to come right off the car. The vibrations are felt more on the floor than on the steering wheel but it causes the vehicle to loose controlof it's direction enough to loose it's lane. I've checked all the ball joints, tie rod ends, and bearings, nothing. Also the tires and front rotors and pads are new. The problem seemed to apear shortly after the tires were installed. We just stuck to 65, the Army is picky about how much time off I get, we had to make the trip. Now that I'm down here I get the advice "pull the diff. lock fuse". The manual says it uses the brakes to vary power with this diff. lock so pulling the fuse should have fixed it. Now unfortunately I never got to 70 because with the fuse pulled the car never left 2nd gear (it's an automatic btw). Naturally my response was to pull over and replace the fuse. The problem persisted although now the dash indication for what gear is selected shows all the gears lit. I'm far less concerned with fixing the front end vibration at this point as compared to getting the car to shift gears again. I think the problems may be related, but really the shifting is the primary concern here. Any help is appreciated. I'm on Ft. Bliss so I'm not sure if anyone will be able to just "drive on over" but I can be reached on this board, by e-mail or by phone (915) 694-5203. I have unlimited minutes and long distance so if you need me to call you back, no problem.[/align][/align]Thanks, [/align][/align]Jesse.[/align] [/align][/align]Edit: I got it to shift again. Disconnected the battery for a few minutes and it did the trick. I would have tried that sooner but I wasn't sure where the battery was. I'd still appreciate input as to the cause of the vibration though.[/align]

Old 05-22-2007, 01:19 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 1993 Audi 100s: Two problems, one needs immediate attention

check all the front end bushings includeing the strut tower ones ... also check the dive shaft bushings and bearings

Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 1993 Audi 100s: Two problems, one needs immediate attention

and see if the wheels are bolted on proper ... check tire pressure