89 100

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Default 89 100

Hi
I had my first experience with Audi yesterday in the form of a 1989 100 (FWD). I was impressed; compared to BMW and MB, it drove very well.
We are considering its purchase as soon as tonight; the owner, a longtime car enthusiast, is asking $2500; the car is very good condition, the imprefections being a minor chipping of the undercoating, the heater (blower?) not shutting all the way off , nonconverted AC, and a slight surge in neutral (this was the only code that came up). Other than that, everything functions. The car is tight and transmission (auto, new at 180k, now 213k) shifts smoothly. Are there any caveats that are helpful to know about? The price seems high, but I am not familiar with used Audis.
I hope I can post pics soon!
Thanks

Old 06-22-2006, 01:51 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 89 100

Last time I looked a good documented specimen will run about $2~2.5K. But for this many beans there better be new shocks, suspension bushings, distributor, radiator, heater core, blower motor, radiator fan, fuel pump, belts, just to name a few .

1. Heater Blower not shutting off could be a costly problem, like a defective control head.
2. Surge could be the result of a dirty idle stabilizer valve.
3. R12 has better cooling properties than R134 and I have not seen many proper conversions. My 1991 has the old R-12 AC and I say that if it still works don't .... with it.