Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Allroad 2.7 Overheating. Need of advidse

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Allroad 2.7 Overheating. Need of advidse

Hi
Recently I had a really bad event with my Allroad, and need some advise on what to do.
Just 3 weeks ago, I bought a 2004 Allroad 2.7T with 118k on the clock and with a nice manual transmission. This car is the perfect substitute for an SUV. The car was in very nice condition with both timing belt and Turbo’s recently replaced. The car has been very well maintained, everything is working including the air suspension, and I only had to replace the clutch and the car seemed perfect.
As I was away on business, my wife took the car for a 125 Miles trip to NC. On her way back, she apparently ran out of colorant at some point, and as the wire for the level monitor in the colorant reservoir was broken, no early warning on missing colorant. She is not very technical, and kept driving as the temperature dials in the instrument cluster kept rising. Eventually she got an overheating alarm, but kept driving for a few minutes, until she pulled over with smoke rising from the engine. Then she called me.
I have not yet taken the car to a shop, but expect the head gasket to be blown. However, I am more concerned about the Turbo’s. Would they normally survive such an event? Replacing the head gasket is not cheap, ( not something I would take on myself) and I would hate to spend the money on that and then later realize that the Turbo’s needs to be replaced as well. Would it be a better idea to replace the engine with a used one?
I really like the car, and want to get it back on the road, but need some advice on the next steps.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Update

Some good news on this.

Over the weekend, I located the leak in the cooling system and got it fixed. After testing the engine, I do believe the head gasket is OK. There is no signs of spill over between oil or colorant. I also ran the Napa block test, and it came out clean. The engine runs fine, but I do hear a weak winning at idle when the engine is cold. Nothing when warm. I am not sure, but I think this may be comming from the Turbo's. Is that normal for this motor, or have the Turbo's suffered from the overheating?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

We have had both a 2000 A6 2.7t and a 2001 A6 2.7t with the same engine and turbo's. Both have made a slight whine until the oil gets flowing in the turbo's. I suggest a very good all synthetic oil, ala Amsoil, etc.

Sounds like you have it licked.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

I am using synthetic oil. after i drove for a couple days everything seems normal. I guess i was lucky:-)