Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

ALlroad pneumatic ride height problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:01 AM
1st Gear
Default ALlroad pneumatic ride height problems

Sorry for the long note but I need help...

My 2001 Allroad started settling from the drivers side...the warning light started blinking and staying on...suggesting a problem per the repair manuals...after a couple of days it went off...Now, the light is always on and the car is always settling on the front...not the rear. Also, the compressor makes a super loud "body shop compressor" sound....

Any similar problems...solutions? The dealer can't give me a definite diagnostic and always suggest replacing everything.... incompetents....

One last thing, The repair shop manual uses the dealer diagnostic tool in procedures of diagnostic and repair of the ride heigth system...Can I do this with the palms using the shade tree software that emulates this former dealer diagnostic tool?

Any help is greatly appreciated....

Thanks to the members who helped me with my oil leaks problems.... fixed it and now is dry as a bone.

Thansk again in advanced,

-Carco[]

Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Default RE: ALlroad pneumatic ride height problems

Not sure if you ever found a solution but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Having the same problem with my '01 Allroad. Initially it was unable to maintain any height at all. Had compressor replaced at advice of dealer. Problem persisted next day, with compressor running all the time. Dealer then recommended I have struts replaced. Had driver side replaced a month ago. It was fine for 3 weeks and now I am having the same problem again. Not sure if passenger strut needs replaced but don't want to dump another $1k on this car or try to problem solve by hanging parts on it. The dealer is giving me the run around, told me that strut air bladders were fine when he wanted to replace compressor, only to come back to the same solution for this problem that won't go away.

Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 PM

I had the same problem with settling. The was able to determine that the left front bladder was leaking down and replaced it and installed a "repair kit". The car does not settle anymore.

-Chris

Old 09-23-2006, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

The ProDiag software from ShadeTreesoftware.com (Actually I got it from SJM autotechnik)...can perform all the diag. tests and repair bleeding and filling precedures with a palm device...I am a do it yourself...so if you gusy are this palm/software setup works great.

I will repair my '01 allroad and write down and document the procedure (pics if possible) and post it here....sometimes a checkvlv could be bad...and they sell the vlvs separately....not the dealer but parker fluid connectors....parker.com.....

If commpressor is on and loud, only the muffler could be the problem....not the compressor itself also....

but anyways...enough with my speculations....

I will keep he forum informed about the issue.

Thanks.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 AM

Any update on the remedy to the ride height problem?

Thank you.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

At least when you start replacing the struts/bladders.... remove them and find a way to apply air pressure to them.... then hold them underwater and look for bubbles. Keep in mind that I have heard of air lines failing also.

They are a little too expensive to just start swapping them. The guy that had his all swapped out at the dealer should go back and complain. As I would highly doubt that they were all bad at the same time.

I have had many VW's over the years and did everything in my power not to take anything to the dealer. There troubleshooting skills are non-existant. If they can't hook up the car to a VAG COM and find the problem they are clueless. Looks like this translates to Audi's as well.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:51 AM

Hello Allraod owners. Just had my air compressor replaced for about 1K by the dealer. never again! I need to know, if the air compressor comes on and off alot? The back of the car comes up 1st then the front. It seems to me that the compressor just comes on way to much to maintain a level air suspension. some one please help!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Site Moderator

The compressor is only loud because its been running too much and essentially killed itself keeping the car at the specified ride height. If the car is sagging at one corner or at the front the chances are that the air strut assembly is leaking, spray some soapy water on it and check for air bubbles. There is a repair kit for the air strut. If thats not it, the other major cause of air suspension problems is the valve bock under the rear of the car that controls all of the air distribution, you can easily see it if you look under the car.
I usually get stuck with all the allroad air suspension problems

Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

Replacing the air spring bags is becoming a pita - My 01 is at the Audi Dealer shop, and needs them replaced because they leak so bad the air compressor can’t keep up. The dealer says they can't get them, they also tall me the waiting list to get one is approximately 6months. OUCH... Mine leak bad enough that I can't drive the car, so I guess I have to let her sit for 6 months while I wait for some bags to arrive!

I can't believe Audi didn't make enough of these things, especially considering they should have learned by halfway though 2002 they were going to have to replace EVERY allroad front air spring. What a moneymaker they have going there!

Anyone have a suggestion for another source of these things apart from Audi?

Old 07-06-2007, 09:28 AM
3rd Gear

Dont know but that scares the crap outta me.

Quick Reply: ALlroad pneumatic ride height problems