Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

FUNKY REAR SUSPENSION

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:15 PM
1st Gear
Default FUNKY REAR SUSPENSION

I've had my 2002 Allroad for ~ six months and love it, but I've got a question for my fellow Allroaders.

When traveling at virtually any speed, if I go over a moderately rough manhole cover or pothole, my Allroad steps to the side when the rear wheels travel over the bump. The right rear seems to step to the side more so than the left rear.

I took the car to the dealer today and they inspected the car and said there could be a couple different causes. Are you ready for this?

1) The tires are worn and slightly cupped on all four, according to the dealer.
2) The rear rotors are slightly warped, according to the dealer.

Now, I know a little about cars, including suspension and brakes and I'm having a hard time accepting their reasoning. The inspection found nothing, but a CV boot that has a crack in it, again according to the dealer.

I don't have a problem purchasing a new set of tires and/or replacing the rotors if warped or worn, but I can't believe this is going to correct my problem.

I'm ready and waiting for your expertise. Thanks!!!

Old 02-07-2006, 08:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: FUNKY REAR SUSPENSION

I noticed the same thing on my 2005 with only 100 miles on it... pretty sure it's not the tires or brakes... maybe it's normal.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

I bought my 01 Allroad with 17k. It had one tire with a bubble so I replaced them all with Wrangler Allroad F1s. The car was rock-f-ng-solid for 10k until my wife had it for 3 months. When I get it back from her I have it serviced at Mike Raisor (Lafayette, IN) which included rotating the tires. Now the wheels pulse on braking. Since they didn't pulse before the rotation, I ask that the torque of the lugnuts be checked. "Torqued properly, warped rotors". What the .....? My wife drives like a lol. Change the rotors ($400). Now the Allroad has the same weird gyrations with the rear suspension(?) that you mentioned. Feels like a blown or sticky shock or a tire going down, even a loose suspension piece perhaps. The "mechanics" at our dealership could not duplicate the problem, and nothing unusual was seen when "on the rack". I take it across the street to the bodyshop at the dealer to check it out, after all, they didn't even check the alignment. Found: Rt front wheel bent at inner rim, rt. cracked CV boot (grease everywhere), 1 tire will not properly "load" balance, and will not realign as the right knuckle 1 degree off. Holy turbos Batman!!! The Mrs. claims she didn't hit anything. Changed knuckle, boot, and wheel ($1000). Pulls right now. Switch "bad" tire to left, now pulls left. Rear end wags like a happy dog with no tail on 100mile trip to O'Hare and back via 90/94. Just left it at the dealer to replace all Wranglers with Michelin Pilot A/S ($900) tomorrow AM.

I said all that to say this: NO, this weird handling is NOT normal. Our old minivan handled better than this. The '97 A6 wagon we sold (wish we had it back) to our friends now seems like an RS6 compared to our Allroad. I just want my OLD Allroad back. It handled SO sweet. Please let me know if you figure anything out. I keep you posted from my end.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

Get this: The new Michelin Pilot A/S tires made a world of difference. The Allroad is MUCH like it old self. Mike Raisor's body shop boss tried to communicate with Audi about the problem and they told him to buzz-off. The car went back to the service department and, surprise-surprise, they couldn't find a problem. I had called ahead to pick-up the car and asked to have the torn rear wiper replaced and the non-functional rear window switches checked. When I got there, my bird poop covered car with the torn wiper and unchecked switches awaited. The body guy walked over, got a wiper out of the parts dept., put it on, then took the car and washed it while I waited. "Service" guy said they were very busy and could check it after the new year. I love this carBUT I'm thinking of trading for a Beemer. What would you do?

Old 12-23-2006, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear

i would keep the allroad! Not the same when you go to a different car!
I have no probs with my 02! Warrenty always helps though!

Old 12-24-2006, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

I had warranty. I have extended warranty. I have insurance. My Insurance guy told me he can't help because there was no "incident" there is no claim. The Audi dealer(Mike Raisor, Lafayette, IN)"service" dept. can't "replicate" the problem so how can they fix it? How does having spent $3000 on an extended warranty, $3000 on repairs for a problem that the dealer says doesn't exist (except in my mind) make me want to keep this vehicle? The sweet irony of the whole situation is this: If the car had handled bumps as if it had a solid axle like my pick-up truck from the first day I had it all would be copacetic. Unfortunately, the Allroad drove like sex with your lover for the first year I had it. Now it's likea blow-up doll dressed in Victoria's Secret. Once you've had the real thing...

Old 12-24-2006, 02:40 PM
3rd Gear

i understand and i know the pain. I had prob with my a4 that i spent a buttload on and dealer could never find or fix. Then after 2 g's of work, it ended up being a faulty fuel pump they put in the first time! It sucks i know. Do what you gotta do. but i am biased. my car can never get rid of me! haha

Old 12-24-2006, 03:11 PM

shock absorbers mate under warranty get them to replace them