Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

New guy with Allroad problem (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Default New guy with Allroad problem (long)

Hello all. I have a 2003 Allroad that has an issue. Some insight would be appreciated!

About me - I'm 57, disabled and unable to work on the car myself. Also on a fixed income. I've worked on my own cars in the past, but haven't been able to do so for over 15 years now. Nothing with computers. Rebuilt an engine in my living room once. Oboy.

About the situation - I live over 60 miles from the nearest Audi dealer. I do have a local mechanic who has done some limited work on the car. He replaced the alternator and the left side CV joint.

About the car - I bought this 2003 Audi Allroad in August 2009. It has the 2.7L twin-turbo with 78k miles. The body, tires, interior, etc. are all in very good condition. The car had been running very well until recently. The car does need the coolant temperature sensor to be replaced per the check engine light and code. Waiting for parts on that.

The problem - the alternator light came on and I took the car to a local mechanic to have it replaced. He did the work withouth problem. Picked the car up and it ran fine on the way home, no alternator warning light or other problems. I live about 7 miles from the mechanic. The next morning, I drove over that way while running an errand and as I was going up a small hill, I let off the gas as I crested the hill and felt a "thump" from the car... felt like it had tried to jump out of gear... and then after that, the power level dropped significantly.

From what I read in the owners manual, sounds like the car is in "fail" mode. So, I immediately did a u-turn and took the car back to the mechanic and told him the scenario. He said he'd check it out while the car was there for the CV joint repair.

When I went to pick up the car on Friday, I spoke with the mechanic about the low power, etc. and he replied that the car seemed to be driving normally. So, I paid for the CV joint repair and took my borrowed driver a short distance away to return it, then walked back to get my car. Started the Audi and headed out... same low power situation with the car and the ABS warning light, the self-leveling warning light and the EPS warning lights were on, in addition to the check engine light. So, I turned around and went back to the mechanic... who had left for the weekend.

As I drove the car home, that "thump" happened again... and once again it was as I'd let off the gas when cresting a hill. Worrisome.

What to do? Is it possible that the computer needs to be reset after having the battery disconnected?

Many thanks!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

I had a similar problem with mine. it had the ABS, Leveling, and EPS lights on and the engine lacked power. i only had the allroad about a week when this happened, so i took it back to the dealer. it turned out to be the brake pedal switch under the dash, a common problem from what i hear. they replaced the switch and it runs fine now.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll pass it on to my mechanic when I drop the car off.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM

Any other ideas folks? The mechanic cleared all the codes, but the warning lights came back on after the next startup. The car does raise and lower manually with the dash switches.

We checked the brake lights and they came on when the pedal was depressed and went off when the pedal was released. I told the mechanic to go ahead and replace the switch, since it was a cheap fix, just in case that's actually the culprit.

I also have a replacement trailer light pigtail box which I will take over to the mechanic this afternoon. The converter in the current pigtail failed due to a poor trailer ground last year... it doesn't work with park lights, but does for the brake and turn signal lights. Heck, it's worth a shot.

Really not wanting to take the car to the Audi dealer... EXPENSIVE beyond reason!

Thanks again for any help!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

A simple check of the brake switch/lights is insufficient. This is a well known and documented problem. In fact, Audi has a newly designed replacement switch. It's easy enough to replace yourself and cheap enough. It *will* solve the multiple light problem. I believe I posted a brief write up of my replacement here. if not, maybe on audiworld.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by tbeaulieu
A simple check of the brake switch/lights is insufficient. This is a well known and documented problem. In fact, Audi has a newly designed replacement switch. It's easy enough to replace yourself and cheap enough. It *will* solve the multiple light problem. I believe I posted a brief write up of my replacement here. if not, maybe on audiworld.
Okay thanks. Do you happen to have the part number? Is it available from regular suppliers or does the mechanic need to order it directly from the dealer?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

The switch isn't simply an on/off. It's got two sets of contacts in it. All it takes is one of them to stick or not work at exactly the right time for the computer to say "that signal makes no sense to me". So you'd never be able to tell this manually.

I simply walked into the dealer and asked for the brake switch. This is a super common problem and they're well versed in it.

And again, it's really easy to install yourself! I haven't had the problem since I replaced mine.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 AM

I'd get rid of the car sooner than later. You are in for a world of pain when those airbags go
or you need a turbo replaced. I own a 4.2, 2004. If I didn't have (at the time) a CPO warranty and (now) extended warranty on the vehicle I would have been roughly out of (and no kidding) twenty thousand dollars so far. Yeah, I love the car. But is it really worth it?
Without warranty coverage, my response is a resounding NO. I realize this isn't advice you
want to hear.........but it is the truth.

antons987

Old 06-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Angry

.......Forgot to mention something. Just wait until the passenger side carpeting becomes
soaking wet from rain water entering the cabin because of clogged drainage holes under
the battery.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by antons987
I'd get rid of the car sooner than later...
Yeah, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion myself. In my situation, the last thing I need is a high maintenance, high cost vehicle. Yeah, I do love the car and it suits my lifestyle perfectly, but the bottom line is the bottom line!

My car still isn't fixed. The mechanic got the old switch out yesterday and discovered that the replacement part isn't available from his regular distributors. They all told him it's a dealer only part due to being heavily redesigned. Sounds familiar! It'll be Thursday or Friday (24Jun10) before the part comes in. Probably next week before I get the car back. Ugh.

I've been test driving other vehicles this week. Trying to figure out what other vehicles will work for me.

Quick Reply: New guy with Allroad problem (long)