Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Suspension dropping when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Suspension dropping when cold?

Try here... They had the replacement air springs when I looked last. The replacement will set you back about $440. I couldn't tell ya how difficult it is to replace though. Good luck.
http://www.audipartssuperstore.com

Old 12-05-2007, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info.

I decided to put my allroad up on jack stands and pull the air spring. I feared that it would be challenging, but it wasn't. It took me less than 2 hours to pull it out. If you are contemplating this proceedure I would recommend that you try it. Be sure to have a full set of metric sockets, box end wrenches and allen wrenches at your disposal.

The curious thing is that I don't think it was the air-spring that was bad. I believe that the o-ring that seals it to the strut was bad. It is deformed and stretched.

Regardless I have a new air-spring and install kit on its way.

I noticed the

Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

Update.

My allroad is back! I installed the new air spring Friday night without a hitch. A couple of notes for anyone thinking of doing this work.

1. I a pretty sure that my old air spring is still good. The new install kit came with a o-ring that fits tight. My old air spring was not sealing with the strut so if another spring fails I will try a new install kit and my old spring before I shell out $450 bucks. One thing to note, since my old o-ring was not seating the markings that I made to line up the strut with the spring were off. I had to realign the strut and spring by putting the strut and spring together, but I didn't install the rubber mount on the top. After a few trial and error settings I was able to get the two aligned properly. After I had it set up I went back and installed the rubber mount.

2. When I removed the old air spring I did not remove the lower ball joint, but when I went to install the new spring I had to remove the lower ball joint. Go to harbor freight and purchase a two jaw puller set. (~$15) Put the puller on the lower ball joint, tighten it up till it is snug and then give it a couple taps with a hammer. It should pop right loose.
3. The strut has a rubber mount on top of the air spring. It is on pretty tight. I struggled at first to get it loose, but I finally got it loose by using a standard metric socket (held in place with a pair of vise grips) and a standard metric allen wrench through the socket. It worked like a champ.

Cheers!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

Mine goes into the dealer tomorrow to have the spring replaced. Sounds like you're way ahead of me in that dept.

I love this car, but it's starting to irritate me with all the suspension quirks and hiccups. Not to mention my dealer was supposed to call me when the replacement came in, but never did. I had to call them to find out that it was in last week. It was supposed to have been in the week prior and the car was supposed to have been in for repair that Friday. I think it came in on time and no one called like they were supposed to.

I've had the car since sept and it's been back to the shop 3 times. Not a good sign.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Dammit...the rear driver's side is dropping again! Not 3 days after the dealer replaced the spring. Are there any diagrams of the air suspension online? I'd like to take a look to see all the possible points where this thing could be leaking. Could the box be leaking for only one wheel?

It's dropping at the same rate as before (about 5hrs or so), so I think the original leak still exists. Granted I did find a leak with the spring and the dealer did too. There's too much snow on the ground to crawl under and confirm they changed the spring, but I'll give em the benefit on that one for now.

I called the service dept last night and balked. I'm dropping off again on Thursday and told them to give me a loaner and not to return the car until it's fixed. Since it drops so slowly, there's no way for them to verify if the problem is truly fixed if they don't keep the car long enough to see if it drops again.
I hope the don'ttry to hit me with another deductable given I just paid the $50 and the problem still exists. It's not the $50, it's the principal. (didn't want anyone to think I'm petty)

Old 12-22-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Update: Dropped the car off at the dealer again and told 'em to give me a loaner and not to call me until, the problem has been diagnosed and fixed. Well, they called to give me the heads up that they found a leak in the box (is there a modulator or something for each wheel in there?) and they've order the replacement part(s) and will call after Xmas with another update. Hope this fixes it. I'm losing confidence in my dealer's service dept as I've been there a lot lately and things can't seem to get fixed. I've also overheard a number of people at the service desk who weredropping off carsfor problems that keep recurring.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:20 AM
1st Gear

Despite all of the posts in this forum regarding actual leaks and problems, isn't there a chance that the car will drop a little overnight if the temperature drops precipitously? I mean, air contracts when it gets colder, right? The other morning, I went out, and the level 2 light blinked for about 20 seconds, and then it was fine.

jf

Old 12-24-2007, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I think the car will sometimes dropifthe temp drops.I remember reading (somewhere) that changes in temp and load could affect the height, but the car should correct itself when started.

Mine does the same thing...When it's cold out the level 2 light will sometimes blink when I start it up and the car raises itself.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:01 AM
Default More complicated problem here guys...

2001 Allroad, diesel version...
Day 1: Temperatures have been down to about -5 C (23 F) for a month. Car was parked for about 2 hrs, and front passenger air spring dropped.
Day 2: Same temps, no suspension drops.
Day 3: Both front air springs dropped overnight (I cannot say how long it took)

Weird thing is that the front driver side air spring was changed about a year ago (dropping problem) and after day 1 I thought it's time to change the passenger side one. After day 3 though, when both dropped, I'm starting to think something else might be the problem.

I definitely should take it to the dealer, but are there any other things i can do to check and maybe try to fix myself (like with the soapy water, but what next??)
Thanks guys!!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Default RE: More complicated problem here guys...

All these dropping suspensions are nearly always a pin hole in the airbag. If the hole is tiny it will not always leak if the bag is folded over the hole. Different ride height settings will expose the hole and give different leak rates. You need to cover with soapy water and change the height settings so the bag folds are in different areas(does this make sense?).
Beware of driving too much with the compressor running constantly as it will surely die -as mine has.

Quick Reply: Suspension dropping when cold?