Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

01 A3 INDICATOR PROBLEM - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Default 01 A3 INDICATOR PROBLEM - HELP!!

Can anyone help? This is driving me crazy!!

I own a 2001 Audi A3 1.6. A problem developed last week when the 'tick tock' of the indicators would sound randomly when the indicators were not in use. It is almost incessant now and is infuriating, it seems to go at double speed (as if one of the bulbs is out). The tick tock (sorry for thebeing so non-technical)returns to normal when indicating, then will just go off at random when driving.

I had a new dashboard installed by Audi a year and a half ago(the clocks were faulty) and the control unit was replaced at this time as well.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation? Im at a total loss and would appreciate it if anyone could explain what is wrong, how to fix etc.

I feel I may go mad if I don't resolve this soon []

Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Default RE: 01 A3 INDICATOR PROBLEM - HELP!!

that sounds like the hazard relay to me and its part of the hazard warning switch which is a complete unit ( not expensive and easy to change out ) its that switch with a triangle on it that flashes red when you park up for loading

Old 05-11-2007, 09:21 AM

Wow! Quick response Avant!

That would sound about right as the 'tick tock' seems to emminate from beside the hazard light button.

Anyone have any further info on how to change this out? How much the unit is etc?

Or if you disagree with Avant please post your suggestions

Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 AM

the switch needs to be pried out with a screw driver and a simple enough job ( buy a new one and you will see how it goes in )

Old 05-12-2007, 07:00 AM

Changed the hazard switch today, problem still exists, anyone got any other ideas?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:31 AM

hmmm so the indicators still flash quick time, check which bulb is not working when you turn on the hazards and if they all work then it can only be one of 2 things bad indicator lever and poor ground wire to one of the indicators ( dont forget the side markers they also count in the system ) sorry it wasn't a simple fix with the switch though which is normally the problem

Old 05-12-2007, 09:50 AM

Thanks for your time anyway Avant, I cleaned the connections to the plug on the indicator stalk (with a bit of WD40), the problem didnt go away! However, last time I took the car out there It didnt happen but I nervously await the return of the ticking.

Should I just take it to audi to see if there is a bad earth then? Being a tightwad I had wanted to avoid any expense

Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

ooops Looks like you tried my idea already

Old 07-27-2008, 07:37 AM

*****SAME PROBLEM*****

Ive got a 2001 A3 TDI with the exact problem. Did you guys find out what it was?
Likewise it is gradually sending me mad, I cant take it much longer. Local garages dont seem to have a clue and I really cant afford a main dealer invoice.
Any suggestions or advice really appreciated, thanks

Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by thepeenrat
Can anyone help? This is driving me crazy!!

I own a 2001 Audi A3 1.6. A problem developed last week when the 'tick tock' of the indicators would sound randomly when the indicators were not in use. It is almost incessant now and is infuriating, it seems to go at double speed (as if one of the bulbs is out). The tick tock (sorry for thebeing so non-technical)returns to normal when indicating, then will just go off at random when driving.

I had a new dashboard installed by Audi a year and a half ago(the clocks were faulty) and the control unit was replaced at this time as well.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation? Im at a total loss and would appreciate it if anyone could explain what is wrong, how to fix etc.

I feel I may go mad if I don't resolve this soon []
2001 Audi A3 1.8T Sport
Hi everyone i'm new to this forum.:

I basically have the same problem as above and was trying to find out if anyone resolved the problem, its driving me crazy. Its goes for long periods of shorting out all the time and then can go silent for ages then comes back. I dont want to go buying a new relay hazard switch if this did not resolve the problem. If anyone managed to solve the problem, please please post a reply.

Afreezin did you have any joy, please let me know if you did, cheers!!!

Good luck, hope to hear from someone

Last edited by beazoblue; 10-01-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 01 A3 INDICATOR PROBLEM - HELP!!